Entering a Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Entering a Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Entering a Keeper League

Postby giants8307 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:14 am

I'm thinking of entering an in-progress keeper league in the Spring. I would be taking the spot of someone else who is leaving the league. there are also a couple other new members taking spots. My Question: Would I have to take his exact team, or is there another way to do this?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:19 am

Depends on the league, but I'd think you'd have to take his team as is. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Jivedude » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:21 am

Well, if there's a few new guys coming in, you could do an expansion draft.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 am

Jivedude wrote:Well, if there's a few new guys coming in, you could do an expansion draft.

How would that work? Would there be protected players, like in MLB expansion?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jivedude » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:31 am

Yeah. I'll explain how we did things in the league I'm in though it's a bit different than the norm. We use salaries, a cap, 3 year contracts and 40 man rosters.There were 10 teams. Me and 2 others were coming into the league. The other 7 teams got to protect 10 players each. The three new teams then got to take turns drafting from the players available from the 3 defunct teams and the other unprotected players. Drafting these players meant you picked up the remainder of the contract. After you took a player from someones team, that team got to protect 2 more players. If a 2nd player was taken from that same team, the guy got to protect 3 more players for a total of 15. So the 3 expansion teams drafted until they had 15, then the regular draft started.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:35 am

Jivedude wrote:Yeah. I'll explain how we did things in the league I'm in though it's a bit different than the norm. We use salaries, a cap, 3 year contracts and 40 man rosters.There were 10 teams. Me and 2 others were coming into the league. The other 7 teams got to protect 10 players each. The three new teams then got to take turns drafting from the players available from the 3 defunct teams and the other unprotected players. Drafting these players meant you picked up the remainder of the contract. After you took a player from someones team, that team got to protect 2 more players. If a 2nd player was taken from that same team, the guy got to protect 3 more players for a total of 15. So the 3 expansion teams drafted until they had 15, then the regular draft started.

Thanks! Just the sort of info I was looking for.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby El Gaupo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:47 pm

I joined a keeper league last year and replaced one team that dropped out. Our league has 10 teams , I made the 10th team. Each team has a salary of 260, 3 year contracts thst can be extended, 23 players and 4 minor leaguers. Each team can keep up to 15 players per year.

Prior to joining the 9 other teams voted to place all the players on the team I was taking over and put them in the free agent pool. I basically had to build my team from scratch. I glad we did it this way verses inheriting a team from someone else
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Entering a Keeper League

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:23 pm

giants8307 wrote:I'm thinking of entering an in-progress keeper league in the Spring. I would be taking the spot of someone else who is leaving the league. there are also a couple other new members taking spots. My Question: Would I have to take his exact team, or is there another way to do this?

In our established league (going on 4th year) the newbies have to take over the team and choose their keepers that the team already has. The flip side of that is as a commish, I really monitor the trades closely to make sure an inactive team doesn't dump all their good keepers.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers