#1 overall pick in a 5x5 dynasty league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

#1 overall pick in a 5x5 dynasty league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'm going Randy 1st pick...Just because if he gets on a decent team he's the best pitcher in baseball hands down...If he gets on the Yankees, Cardinals, Sox, or Even the Dodgers then hell have 20-25 wins easy...As for Beltran I think his incredible offseason boosted his rankings....I traded Beltran for Johnson because of my opinion that finding a dominant pitcher is harder and more important then a CF...its a risk but Im taking it damnit!

I hope you're kidding, but if you're not, remember.........he's 41! 8-o :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:31 pm

Not kidding...my strategy shall prevail
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby e » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:01 pm

he's not kidding. go pitcher.

Mark Prior. This guy is several years from his prime while Alby, Carl, & Vladimir have just passed the crest. A Rod is a year beyond them.

Prior's team will always be near the top in payroll and he shares a division with the pirates, brewers, and reds. Is there a better super young fantasy pitcher? Prior is the surest pitching bet you'll get. Take him.
e Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:05 pm

Normally I am opposed to taking pitchers in the first round but in a dynasty you could make an argument for a guy like Prior. But I still wouldn't do it, certainly not #1 overall and taking RJ at #1 in a dynasty would be a bad move IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pgbridge2000 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:49 pm

Pujols: Simply because of draft logic, when considering the first pick you have to consider every other pick, you can always get a good pitcher last pick 2nd round (there are plenty of good young starters or 30-32 ish who will give you 6 good years) and you can also get a good sb threat in later rounds (i.e. Juan Pierre: 300 avg and 40 sb) or rise up a bit and grab Ichiro on like the wraparound 3 or if he falls then later for the 20 sb, 315 avg., 200 hits for like 6 years. Pujols is the kind of guy who can only be gotten at the top, beltran's skill that makes him a top pick is his sb's (lets not forget that non-first-pick worthy avg.) and those can be gotten even not by a good guy like ichiro or pierre, but like a figgins, crawford, or someone (is rickey Henderson un-retiring again?).
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby moose » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:26 pm

Keep it coming guys!

;-D
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:34 pm

e wrote:he's not kidding. go pitcher.

Mark Prior. This guy is several years from his prime while Alby, Carl, & Vladimir have just passed the crest. A Rod is a year beyond them.

Prior's team will always be near the top in payroll and he shares a division with the pirates, brewers, and reds. Is there a better super young fantasy pitcher? Prior is the surest pitching bet you'll get. Take him.

There is no logical reason to take Prior over Pujols in a situation like this considering you can get someone like Sheets later who will all but replicate Prior's numbers sans Wins whereas you ain't gonna get some Pujols clone in later rounds.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:12 pm

Yes RJ #1 I guess is not the best in a dynasty...however, I just joined a dynasty league and would like to make a run my first year...Im not playing for next year...I wanted RJ because pitcher is thin compared to OF...Beltran would be nice for years..but im concerned about this year.....I guess my #1 in a dynasty would probably be Pujols or Beltran...but RJ is a top 10er anyways...
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:05 am

e wrote:Prior's team will always be near the top in payroll and he shares a division with the pirates, brewers, and reds. Is there a better super young fantasy pitcher? Prior is the surest pitching bet you'll get. Take him.

Johan Santana.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 am

Pujols.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers