100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Glaus to Arizona?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Glaus to Arizona?!

Postby ensanimal » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:34 pm

not sure how reliable this is but...

http://1bignasty.com/jblog/2004/12/new-glaus-to-arizona-new-12-5-04.html

anyone know anything about this Joe McDonnell? :-? i've read on other boards that he is usually reliable, so maybe this is something. haven't seen it anywhere else though, so take it for what it's worth.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:38 pm

I don't know anything about Joe McDonnell but I have trouble believing this. I think he could end up in Arizona but not before he explores all of the east coast options. If what I've read is accurate, his wife is an equestrian and spends most of the summer on the east coast so that's where he prefers to play. The arbitration deadline isn't until tommorow so it would be a couple of weeks at least before he signed with Arizona.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Not being reported on espn.com, usatoday.com, or sportsline.com.

That said, he was reportedly offered a multi-year contract by the DBacks in late November. Don't know what type FA he is (A, B or C), but, if the rumor is true, it may not be announced until after arbitration has been offered/not offered tomorrow.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby ensanimal » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:42 pm

i'd be really surprised as well if he signed this early. i'd read somewhere that the mariners were going to make an offer soon, so it really wouldn't make sense to sign now.

ya never know though...
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:44 pm

ensanimal wrote:i'd be really surprised as well if he signed this early. i'd read somewhere that the mariners were going to make an offer soon, so it really wouldn't make sense to sign now.

ya never know though...

Yeah that's what I heard as well concerning the M's. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:55 am

The DBacks are on the verge of becoming the Mets-West. They need to dump Johnson, tear everything down and start again, not fork over a fortune for a guy like Glaus.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tlef316 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:21 am

i disagree. glaus is very solid player to build around when he is healthy. if they were mets-west, they'd be offering multi-year deals to guys much worse than him
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:49 am

Really? He is a career .252 hitter who has not been healthy in two years. The last time he hit more than 30 HRs was 2001 and he has had only one really good season, 2000. And there is a strong reason that a lot of AL teams are envisioning him as a DH type--brittle and not a great fielder. Giving someone like that a fat contract sounds like a classic Mets move actually.

Would you say that Dunn is a great guy to give a huge contract to and build a team around? Yet they are pretty much the same player at the plate, only Dunn has been healthy and Glaus is not and Dunn is still young enough that is a reasonable hope he can evolve into something more.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:19 pm

I dunno, he's owed alot of money in deferred payments (somewhere in the neighborhood of $55 million), is 'Zona able to take on that kind of debt?
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:26 pm

Rkiivs wrote:I dunno, he's owed alot of money in deferred payments (somewhere in the neighborhood of $55 million), is 'Zona able to take on that kind of debt?

where did you hear that? his last contract was for somewhere around 25 million total. even if he had deferred payments those would be the responsibility of the angels and not the d-backs.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers