% of being drafted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

% of being drafted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: % of being drafted

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:44 pm

eftda wrote:Does anyone know the % of being drafted into the majors?

Percentage of drafted players who make the majors?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:00 pm

eftda wrote:
Tavish wrote:

both would be great. I have a report due on making it into the pros. I have looked at google, but I am having trouble finding stats.

Not sure if I understand your original question. If you are wanting to know how often someone is drafted directly into the major leagues (ie not playing any minor league games first) the percentage is extremely small. There have only been 21 players who have done that.

A little less than 6% of the players drafted make the major leagues at some point in their career.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby kentx12 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:10 pm

Tavish wrote:
eftda wrote:
Tavish wrote:

both would be great. I have a report due on making it into the pros. I have looked at google, but I am having trouble finding stats.

Not sure if I understand your original question. If you are wanting to know how often someone is drafted directly into the major leagues (ie not playing any minor league games first) the percentage is extremely small. There have only been 21 players who have done that.

A little less than 6% of the players drafted make the major leagues at some point in their career.

Where do you get all this info???? Dosent really matter I am just glad you have it and continue to share it with us...
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:23 pm

Hmm ok, according to the NCAA

* Less than three in 50, or about 5.6 percent, of high school senior boys interscholastic baseball players will go on to play men's baseball at a NCAA member institution.

* Less than eleven in 100, or about 10.5 percent, of NCAA senior male baseball players will get drafted by a Major League Baseball (MLB) team.

* Approximately one in 200, or approximately 0.5 percent of high school senior boys playing interscholastic baseball will eventually be drafted by an MLB team.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:58 pm

eftda wrote:thanks ;-D
I hate to bug you for one more, but do you have the % of minor leagues to major leagues?

I've seen numbers anywhere from 5% to 10%. Baseball America had a study that said that about 10% of minor league players now make the majors. The numbers used to be much lower (around 5-6%, but now that teams are drafting fewer players the turnover in the minors has decreased somewhat.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers