Random news and views - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Random news and views

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:41 am

What about Clement? Does the loss of Woody, getting Morris back super cheap, hopefully the drop in price for Renteria, and the (IMO) unrealistic demands of the D-Backs make him seem like the prime target now? Depending on the price, I think he would be a good fit with the rest of the rotation. I think he could have had 18-19 wins last year if he had any run support, which he will definitely get with the Cards. :-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:40 am

Sorry to just keep posting in this same thread, but I thought it would be better than starting new threads all the time. :-D Anyway all this is probably old news by now, just thought I'd post it for those who may have missed it. ;-)

From TheBirdHouse that jd linked in the Zito thread. (Thanks jd, great stuff there. ;-D) Anyway this was one of the couple things I found of interest:

Brian Walton wrote:Matheny – Offered arbitration. I was one of the few who was not surprised by this, though I think it may take more than two years, $4 million to sign Mike. Yadier Molina’s future is becoming cloudier as a result. Think trade.

Full article here
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:19 am

i saw that. there is a lot of speculation although nothing concrete that if we are offering matheny a multi year deal yadi could be on the move. then again, walt and tony might just really like matheny.

peter gammons said the dodgers and cardinals were leading contenders for clement and something could happen during the winter meetings (but thats peter gammons so who knows).

i forgot where i read it (and it may have just been a message board) but even though the cards are interested and polanco is interested the money will probably get in the way of deal getting done.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i forgot where i read it (and it may have just been a message board) but even though the cards are interested and polanco is interested the money will probably get in the way of deal getting done.

I agree. That appears to be the only sticking point in the deal with Polanco. It's a shame too. :-/
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:53 pm

I'm just trying to keep all of the happenings straight so I thought I'd put them here and let you guys straighten them out for me. :-D

Renteria: Boston's made an offer or will make an offer for about what the Cardinals are willing to pay I think $8million range? I read somewhere that TB is looking to move Lugo to the Sox? If that's true that would be a huge break for STL I think. BOS needs to save money where they can I think and they wouldn't want to commit long term to Renteria anyway would they? I may be missing something but I think STL still has the inside track to land him. He likes playing for the Cards and the Cards (especially LaRussa) want him back. ;-D

Hudson: With LA apparently ready to jump in and give up quite a bit for him IMO, it looks like STL may be falling back a little, but I guess that's right where Walt wants to be. :-D

Clement: He still appears to be in the pitcure doesn't he? I read that his agent was in talks with STL but I'm not sure how serious they were. :-?

Lowe: OK I have to admit this one caught me off guard, but the more you think about it the more it seems to make sense. I'm not sure if he's as good as he was last year in the playoffs, but he keeps the ball down and if Renteria comes back that will really help him to have an infield of Gold Glovers behind him. ;-) I'm not really sure what price range he's gonig to fall in, it probably won't be cheap but it has to be lower than if the Yanks and BoSox were in on him, right? :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:08 pm

there are reports that edgar to boston is all but a done deal. he will get 40 mil over 4 years and have an option on a fifth year or a 4 mil buyout. supposedly all he needs to do to make it official is take a physical.

i would have liked to have edgar back but not at that price. cards are supposed be hard after cabrera and polanco.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:14 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:there are reports that edgar to boston is all but a done deal. he will get 40 mil over 4 years and have an option on a fifth year or a 4 mil buyout. supposedly all he needs to do to make it official is take a physical.

i would have liked to have edgar back but not at that price. cards are supposed be hard after cabrera and polanco.

Yeah that's the impression I was left with too about Renteria. :,-( I think the Angels are hard after Cabrera, but even then he's got to be cheaper than $10mill/year. I guess this means we can go hard after Hudson and offer him a longer contract with the $$$ freed up at SS. I still don't want to have to pay Polanco $4mill/year, but that will be a little easier to stomach if Cabrera does come to STL. BTW who is after Cabrera on the list for SS's? :-? It's not like there is a prospect in the minors ready anytime now and someone like Luna could start the year. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:20 pm

polanco actually might be an option for short should we not be able to sign cabrera. lugo could probably be had in a trade with the d-rays. beyond that i dont like the options -- guys like larkin, aurilia, etc.

stark thought that since everybody seemed to be hot after hudson the cards could get back into the unit sweepstakes.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:31 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:polanco actually might be an option for short should we not be able to sign cabrera. lugo could probably be had in a trade with the d-rays. beyond that i dont like the options -- guys like larkin, aurilia, etc.

stark thought that since everybody seemed to be hot after hudson the cards could get back into the unit sweepstakes.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of at SS. :-o I still don't want RJ. I just don't want to give up what we'd have to to get him. Why not give that up in a deal for Hudson who is just as good maybe and will be around for more than 1-2 years?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:01 pm

well the thinking is that with RJ being older, costing more money, and having limited options due to the no trade clause he would cost less than hudson in terms of prospects. i still think its a pipe dream. walt is probably just inquiring to see how much the price has dropped since the yankees supposedly pulled out of the running.

i could live with polanco or lugo at ss if it meant an improvement in the starting rotation.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals