Boras Clients - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boras Clients

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boras Clients

Postby rlee » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:34 pm

I was reading this morning where Boras reportedly says the asking price for JD Drew will be a 5 year, $50 million contract. Which, to me, seems pretty stout 8-o

I t struck me that Boras likes to play the ultimate waiting game with all of his clients, like Pudge last year. My thought was that this may be effective if you have only one or two big names, but this year he has a bunch - Beltre, Beltran, Drew, Millwood, Veritek, Maggs, Lowe (I'm sure I missed several). :-?

Do you think this tactic may backfire when he represents so many potentially appealing players, or will it be to his benefit? I think it may backfire.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Boras Clients

Postby DK » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:36 pm

Boras is the best sports agent in the world, period. No matter what happens, it'll work for him and his clients.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby swarmee » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:16 pm

You're going to tell me that people aren't going to meet Boras's prices for his clients? I don't see that happening. Boras has a relative monopoly on baseball talent this year, and will find lucrative deals for all his clients, IMO. I loved the ESPN article about what his answering machine must be like right now. It was so true.
I see the teams that have the money to be in it, just like always.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:06 pm

Boras will get every penny he can out of teams interested in his players. And even money from some teams for players they don't even want, like he did with the Yankees and Travis Lee. He's good at what he does and for us to speculate that he's doing something wrong seems foolish.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm

LBJackal wrote:Boras will get every penny he can out of teams interested in his players. And even money from some teams for players they don't even want, like he did with the Yankees and Travis Lee. He's good at what he does and for us to speculate that he's doing something wrong seems foolish.

wasnt milwood his client last winter? how did that work out? :-b

seriously though, the guy is a good agent, especially when dealing with the superstar player, who is gonna get their money no matter what. His negotiations regarding borderline clients(milwood, drew, varitek) are weaker. For every team he gets to overpay, he's gonna have egg on his face from a kevin milwoodesque debacle.

All will be forgiven, however, if he makes my avatar come true ;-D
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zito is God » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Boras is the best agent ever. he knows what hes doing. And its been working for him for so many clients, why doubt him now?

I am planning to major in sports management next year, I assume Boras will be brought up in many examples by my proffessors.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:26 pm

There will be some duds, but that comes with the territory when you have players hold off for bigger money. If he caved on Millwood too early he would lose some of his reputation, IMO. He knows what he's doing. Overall the Millwood deal might not have been great but it sends a message to teams I think. They know he isn't bullshitting them, he really will hold off for more money. I really don't know all the intracacies of how he works but if there's anybody I'd trust to be my agent, it's Boras.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:42 pm

Boras may be the best sport agent in the world but if he pulls 5 years and 10 million per guaranteed for Drew he's a magician. I don't see it happening unless 1 or 2 years are guaranteed and the rest work by means of vesting options. No one will commit to Drew for 5 years.

Same for Beltran to a lesser extent. Not even the Yankees will commit to Beltran for 10 years.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:22 am

Zito is God wrote:Boras is the best agent ever. he knows what hes doing. And its been working for him for so many clients, why doubt him now?

I am planning to major in sports management next year, I assume Boras will be brought up in many examples by my proffessors.

do some research on law schools. make sure its what you want. You dont want to commit to such a specialized major only to realize you dont like it/arent cut out for it 2 years in. Trust me, i have alot of pre-med friends that are dealing with this right now.

I've also been looking into a sports related career(History major, minors in business and Crim. justice) but i figured id keep all my options open.

Ok, hijack over
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Boras Clients

Postby eftda » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:47 am

DK wrote:Boras is the best sports agent in the world, period. No matter what happens, it'll work for him and his clients.

i'm willing to debate but I dont have the stats :-P

But the guy who is Mike Tysons agent.. IMO, hes the best.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers