Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:01 am

eftda wrote:Wow, I can't believe that you guys fell for that trick! He was just using the press to get his view across. It would cost too much money and resourses.

Ummmm.....when's the last time the government actually took that into account? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:28 am

I agree that it's not the government's place, but I totally disagree on why McCain did it. That's one thing I respect about him is that he goes for what he believes in, parties be damned. That's why he'll never be president and it's the ONLY explanation (other than fundraising) that George W could have ever defeated him in 2000.

He is not just bringing this up now that the confessions are out - he has brought it up before and I think he truly believes in it. He is not just doing it to win votes, believe it or not. Aren't Republicans generally for less gov't intervention?

Somebody had to stand up for him, but now I reek of fanboy :-P
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Pacman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:07 am

Tavish wrote: They will dangle the anti-trust expemtion in front of the owners

Don't underestimate the importance of what Tavish said there. When someone like McCain speaks the way he just did, he's doing it to force the owners and players to get their "stuff" together -- fast. The trump card is the Anti-Trust Exemption which (obviously) is enabling MLB to flourish. Baseball knows if the political winds blow hard enough to get a majority of Congress to step in line with McCain, the Anti-Trust exemption could be in danger.

And frankly, the BALCO story could be just the thing to get those winds to blow.

Again, I tip my hat to McCain for speaking up. ;-D And I agree with the poster who said above that the good Senator will never get elected president because of his outspoken nature.... but I'd sure as hell vote for him. B-)
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:10 pm

The government has been trying for years to abolish MLB's anti trust exemption. This would certainly put MLB and the MLBPA on notice to obey ALL THE LAWS of the land.

I don't like the idea of MLB having to actually open their books for the players though. The whole idea that the players are entitled to a certain percentage of the profits pisses me off. The owners are the ones running the business and taking the financial risks. If the players want that, then have their salaries calculated on a derivative and watch some file for bankruptcy paying a losing team back their salary.

Either way I am in favor of someone stepping in an cleaning this up. If it takes revocation of the anti-trust, so be it.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:22 pm

I dont believe congress is going to have to step up. For the 1st time I believe Bud will will step up and use his "best intrest for the game"
power. This has to stop. Something has to be done to the people who are ruining the sport that I have loved for as long as I can remember..
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:17 am

Mccain is always proactive. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling at least
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:05 am

kentx12 wrote:I dont believe congress is going to have to step up. For the 1st time I believe Bud will will step up and use his "best intrest for the game"
power. This has to stop. Something has to be done to the people who are ruining the sport that I have loved for as long as I can remember..

If he was going to do that don't you think he would have done it by now? I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge Bud Selig fan -- OK, I can't stand him -- but that's wishful thinking IMO. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:42 pm

Hah, and now Selig is rocking back and forth in the fetal postion in his little corner, begging Congress to take the reins. What a p*ssy.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby kentx12 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:28 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I dont believe congress is going to have to step up. For the 1st time I believe Bud will will step up and use his "best intrest for the game"

If he was going to do that don't you think he would have done it by now? I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge Bud Selig fan -- OK, I can't stand him -- but that's wishful thinking IMO. :-?

I cant stand Bud but I believe he wasnt doing anything about the problem in the past because he didnt want to admit that players were using steroids. Now that he has no choice I think he finally does what is right and trys to fix the problem.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:45 pm

kentx12 wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

I cant stand Bud but I believe he wasnt doing anything about the problem in the past because he didnt want to admit that players were using steroids. Now that he has no choice I think he finally does what is right and trys to fix the problem.

I sure hope your right. :-/
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers