Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseball

Postby Pacman » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:32 pm

Sen. John McCain reportedly plans to introduce legislation for mandatory drug testing of athletes if MLB
players and owners don't enact tougher standards themselves by January.

I love that guy. ;-D

Here's a link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/a ... _baseball/
Last edited by Pacman on Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sen. McCain threatens legislation to curb drugs in baseb

Postby swarmee » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:38 pm

I think it's a solid idea. The gov't has been threatening it for a while, but they'd much prefer to get it written into the MLBPA contracts rather than have to carry the gavel themselves.
Maybe this will get the union and the owners at the table to talk it out and really attack the problem.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:00 pm

You mean just so long as you want to throw the Constitution away. Let's see, why not mandatory drug testing for secretaries...for auto mechanics...for everyone period becuase the governemnt wants it? Baseball players do not work for the government or in jobs which could threathen the public safety like train operators or airline pilots. The government has no business mandating anything there. Baseball is a private business and McCain just a big blowhard looking to gain some political points.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swarmee » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:22 pm

I know when I worked as a programmer for a pipeline, I was subject to a mandatory random drug screening. Same when I worked in IT for a natural gas supplier. Using steroids is illegal in the United States, and the government has a responsibility to crack down on it.
If the laws were amended and steroid use was no longer illegal, then they would have no reason to harrass the MLB about it, but it is.

Why else would there be a Grand Jury investigation into BALCO?
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:30 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:You mean just so long as you want to throw the Constitution away. Let's see, why not mandatory drug testing for secretaries...for auto mechanics...for everyone period becuase the governemnt wants it? Baseball players do not work for the government or in jobs which could threathen the public safety like train operators or airline pilots. The government has no business mandating anything there. Baseball is a private business and McCain just a big blowhard looking to gain some political points.

Agreed .. ;-D
Congress' responsibilty is to make them Illegal, which it has done. Thats where their responsiblity ends.
Swarmee, to the best of my knowledge, Congress did not make you take those tests, the company you worked for did.
McCain is just getting face time on an extremly hot issue. Period!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Viper8437 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:37 pm

yea
i heard McCain's running for re-election so it could help him
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:55 pm

wrveres wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:You mean just so long as you want to throw the Constitution away. Let's see, why not mandatory drug testing for secretaries...for auto mechanics...for everyone period becuase the governemnt wants it? Baseball players do not work for the government or in jobs which could threathen the public safety like train operators or airline pilots. The government has no business mandating anything there. Baseball is a private business and McCain just a big blowhard looking to gain some political points.

Agreed .. ;-D
Congress' responsibilty is to make them Illegal, which it has done. Thats where their responsiblity ends.
Swarmee, to the best of my knowledge, Congress did not make you take those tests, the company you worked for did.

I agree. The government shouldn't have any bearing on MLB's drug screening policy. Give them financial incentives to do it properly, but to force them to be stricter, or even have a policy at all, is wrong IMO.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:55 am

wrveres wrote:

Agreed .. ;-D

I agree as well. This would involve Congress seriously overstepping its bounds IMO. If they want to issue mandatory drug tests for government employees, that's fine, but they shouldn't be able to tell other organizations how to run their business. :-t
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:37 am

LBJackal wrote:I agree. The government shouldn't have any bearing on MLB's drug screening policy. Give them financial incentives to do it properly, but to force them to be stricter, or even have a policy at all, is wrong IMO.

That is exactly what will end up happening if baseball isn't able to fix the drug policy soon enough. Congress will do what they always do to guide the inept commissioners through bad times. They will dangle the anti-trust expemtion in front of the owners and the owners will conceed to whatever the Player's Union wants in return for the drug policy in order to keep Washington off their backs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby eftda » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:45 am

Wow, I can't believe that you guys fell for that trick! He was just using the press to get his view across. It would cost too much money and resourses.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers