Interesting draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:44 pm

For the long haul I'd go with Minnesota or Atlanta.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:57 pm

I may be missing something from hte previous responses, but there are a couple of questions I have.

1) I understand this is a keeper, but how long do you keep the farm system? If indefinitely, then look for a team with a history of drafting and developing talent - like LA, Atl, CHN, Cle. If you only keep the team for this year, look at teams with top heavy talent, such as Min, Ana, Mil. Other good teams with mixed levels of talent include Sea and, IMHO, Ari. I like the fact that Ari has those 3 good OF, the rights to Steven Drew, and the #1 pick in 2005.

2) If you have a minor leaguer and he's traded to another team, do you lose the player? If so, avoid teams like NYY, Bos, CHN and SF that trade prospects. Also, SF has been giving up their #1 pick the last couple of years, so little upper level talent is flowing in right now. If you keep those players, then nevermind.

3) If a player gets brought to the majors and then traded, do you keep him? If so, the smaller market teams that agressively push the minor leaguers, like TB and Mil, are good.

Lastly, I presume you are limited in keepers. As such, a deep farm system with few "stud" prospects won't help as much as a less deep system with several studs, but little else. Using that as a criteria, I'd look at: Ana, Atl, Mil, TB, LA, Sea and Min.

As for sources of info, in print version, BA puts out their Top 10 lists overs 6 issues. Same with BW. On-line, mlb.com gives a Top 100 list (I think its given in 10 prospects segments) and Rotoworld also used to do Top 10 for each team and then a Top 100/150, but I don't know the timelines as to when these start to come out.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Re: Interesting draft

Postby rotodog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:04 pm

swarmee wrote:I think the Twins are a good solution; they're willing to pay for their top draft choices, and bring up their prospects through their own system rather than buying free agents all the time.
I wouldn't say they have a top crop this year, but they do have the type of minor league strategy you're seeing. I'm in agreement that the Brewers and Devil Rays are probably solid choices right now.
Twins !!!!! right on here. I see a lot of AA twins baseball, and the system is great....
A good rule of thumb , Look for the cheapest teams in MLB. They tend to bring up the talent sooner than later because it cost's them nothing after they let the higher price Guys go to FA or trade away the big $$$$$ guys............................
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Savoy Special » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:I may be missing something from hte previous responses, but there are a couple of questions I have.

1) I understand this is a keeper, but how long do you keep the farm system? If indefinitely, then look for a team with a history of drafting and developing talent - like LA, Atl, CHN, Cle. If you only keep the team for this year, look at teams with top heavy talent, such as Min, Ana, Mil. Other good teams with mixed levels of talent include Sea and, IMHO, Ari. I like the fact that Ari has those 3 good OF, the rights to Steven Drew, and the #1 pick in 2005.

2) If you have a minor leaguer and he's traded to another team, do you lose the player? If so, avoid teams like NYY, Bos, CHN and SF that trade prospects. Also, SF has been giving up their #1 pick the last couple of years, so little upper level talent is flowing in right now. If you keep those players, then nevermind.

3) If a player gets brought to the majors and then traded, do you keep him? If so, the smaller market teams that agressively push the minor leaguers, like TB and Mil, are good.

Lastly, I presume you are limited in keepers. As such, a deep farm system with few "stud" prospects won't help as much as a less deep system with several studs, but little else. Using that as a criteria, I'd look at: Ana, Atl, Mil, TB, LA, Sea and Min.

As for sources of info, in print version, BA puts out their Top 10 lists overs 6 issues. Same with BW. On-line, mlb.com gives a Top 100 list (I think its given in 10 prospects segments) and Rotoworld also used to do Top 10 for each team and then a Top 100/150, but I don't know the timelines as to when these start to come out.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far.
Here are the parameters of the league so far (new league in process of forming rules at this point). 25 man MLB fantasy roster. 20 active and 5 bench. You will then also draft one MLB team's farm system. This gives you the rights to any player who comes up through that system and once he is activated to the "Bigs" then we are able to activate that player and release another from our 25 man roster (very similar to real life baseball).

In response, the farm system is ours indefinitely. 20 team league so I am assuming you can only drop your farm system if you intend to pick up one of the 12 that are unowned.
I also think that we only get the rights to bring a minor league player into our active roster if he is activated by our farm club i.e. if I own the Cubs farm system and they trade a prospect away to the Tigers who immediately activate him onto the MLB club, then I don't have his rights. The Tiger farm system owner claims his rights. (hope that makes sense)
If a player becomes a major league player and is then transferred to our active fantasy roster, then the farm system is disregarded. Once he becomes active, he retains the status of any other MLB player.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:16 am

I would go with the Yankees' farm system. That way you get 24 MLB teams worth of players to choose from. :-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers