Interesting draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting draft

Postby Savoy Special » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:29 pm

I have already posted this in the minor league section, but thought it would get some more hits here.

We are having a draft where we choose our active MLB roster, but at the end we will also choose one MLB team's entire minor league farm system. Any minor league player that is promoted by that team can become active on our MLB roster. For instance, if I draft the Milwaukee Brewers farm system, then whenever Richie Weeks is promoted, I can add him to my active roster.

Here's my questions. . .

1) Is there any site that you can recommend that will grade each MLB team's entire farm system? I have tried Baseball America, but can't find what I am looking for (I am not interested in paying for this info).

2) Do any of you have any input as to MLB teams that trade away most of their minor league talent or teams that do a great job of promoting within their farm system and trading for solid minor league stars. Another example, nobody wants to draft the Yankees farm system because they will trade away all their young talent for help at the major league level.

Thanks!!
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 pm

In the off-season, Sport weekly sends out issues that have minor league rankings. Not sure if its online :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:34 pm

Just off the top of my head, some really good farm systems are the Brewers, Devil Rays, Angels and Cubs. Bad ones are Yankee's, Red Sox, St. Louis, and Houston.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:39 pm

dont forget the Giants :-°
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:48 pm

eftda wrote:dont forget the Giants :-°

Yeah the Giants are pretty bad too. :-D

Seriously I don't know any Giants prospects beyond Cain and Merkin Valdez. Is there any good position players or are they mostly pitchers?
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Re: Interesting draft

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Savoy Special wrote:We are having a draft where we choose our active MLB roster, but at the end we will also choose one MLB team's entire minor league farm system. Any minor league player that is promoted by that team can become active on our MLB roster. For instance, if I draft the Milwaukee Brewers farm system, then whenever Richie Weeks is promoted, I can add him to my active roster.

i would shoot for the angels or devil rays farm system.....next on my list would be indians, brewers, braves, cubs and mariners......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:08 pm

is this a keeper league or is it only for this year?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Savoy Special » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:17 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:is this a keeper league or is it only for this year?

Keeper. That is why we are doing minor league systems.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Don't know if you saw it, but I posted this in the Minor League forum:

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not sure about the first question, but for number two most small market teams will trade away the minor leaguers that become stars in order to replenish the minor league system. So speaking from more of a philosophical point of view than in terms of actual players I would think a small market team would be a good choice. Oakland, and Minnesota are two I can think of right off the top of my head. They bring up the talent -- Ortiz, Tejada, etc -- then trade them to the big market teams for the best minor leaguers to replenish their farm systems. Just my $.02. ;-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Interesting draft

Postby swarmee » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:42 pm

I think the Twins are a good solution; they're willing to pay for their top draft choices, and bring up their prospects through their own system rather than buying free agents all the time.
I wouldn't say they have a top crop this year, but they do have the type of minor league strategy you're seeing. I'm in agreement that the Brewers and Devil Rays are probably solid choices right now.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers