Jason Giambis' contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Giambis' contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Giambis' contract

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:19 pm

Lets say the Yankees void the contract (not saying it will happen, but just saying: What if)

What if the void it, who will play first base? Olerud? Yankees can do better then that. Has anyone thought of Delgado?
Last edited by eftda on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:24 pm

Even if Giambi stays with the Yankees it wouldnt suprise me if they sign another 1st baseman anyway. Giambi has not performed well for the past 2 years and no with all the steroid issues we have a little more understanding why. I would be suprised if George dosent go throwing some extra money around to get a more guaranteed player.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:45 pm

My best guess as well as my hope is that they sign Tino Martinez.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:49 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:My best guess as well as my hope is that they sign Tino Martinez.

That would make the most sense to me, but snagging a guy like Delgado for long term would be a smart move too probably since Tino has maybe 1-2 years left in him. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:10 pm

if they were to void the contract then i think sexson and delgado would be the options. of course, they may decide to just use that money on beltran and pitching. it would allow them to send more money with vazquez to get unit or they could pay someone to take brown off their hands and with enough cash get some decent prospects in return. if they were to spend it on pitching then tino is a short term solution.

but i dont think it matters too much. i dont think there is way in hell that contract gets voided.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:21 pm

Dump Giambi...pick up a hell of a team player like Tino...Althought Olerud is pretty damn good as a team player...thats what the yankees need...Theyll save mad money too
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:03 am

If we could void Giambi's contract than I would be thrilled.
He is a bum and that has to be one of the worst signings ever. We over payed for a bum on roids :~(

I want Tino Back- we should have never gotten rid of him in the first place
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:27 am

I don't think the Yankees would be able to sign Sexson or Delgado. Maybe this is wishful thinking but the Giambi situation is not going to be resolved quickly. By the time it is resolved Sexson and Delgado will most likely have been signed. With Tino the Yankees can preemptively sign him and it won't be a major burden if they get stuck with Giambi's contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm a lawyer and can say there are several ways to try to get out of a contract. The operative word, however, is "try." It ain't easy. Usually the easiest way is to read every word in the contract twice to see if there are any terms, representations, or warranties that Giambi violated that would constitute a "material breach" or otherwise give the Yanks the contractual right to terminate. Technically, that's not "voiding" the contract because a "void" contract is one that in effect was never valid to begin with. No doubt the Yanks have a dozen lawyers scouring the contract for any "outs" right now. The other way -- fraudulent inducement -- is much more difficult to prove. The theory would be that Giambi decieved the Yanks in some way in order to secure his contract. In the end, I see this settling outside of court. I doubt neither Giambi or the Yanks want this litigated in public. It would be embarrasing for both.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Jason Giambis' contract

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:05 am

eftda wrote:Lets say the Yankees void the contract (not saying it will happen, but just saying: What if)

What if the void it, who will play first base? Olerud? Yankees can do better then that. Has anyone thought of Delgado?

They are already in talks with Delgado and Sexson.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers