General draft strategy question, please help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

General draft strategy question, please help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General draft strategy question, please help

Postby great gretzky » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:59 pm

what is the realisitc way I could approach this with a balance between players and rounds?

Instead of taking a bunch of "sleepers" in the draft as such (targeting guys who might come from seemingly nowhere), I want to try and build upon (if the draft permits it) is taking knwon, if limited quantities, the hr and stolen base threats and players who offer a lot of value for certain cats, but seem to have an unfounded knock on them.

for example, I almost always take beltran, but he might be a hard one to acquire. so I was thinking that I would like to focus on acquiring:

Beltran obvisouly, might be a stretch

abreu
ichiro
c. patterson
damon
drew
baldelli
maybe cameron

anyone else that fits this mold?

I was also thinking of pairing this type of consituted outfield with acquiring adman dunn and hafner as both will have "drawbacks" dunns low average and hafner only being useful for util.

but I think dunns average is very misleading for roto as he walks a lot too, and his overall percentage of your teams hits isn't that large.

In terms of drafting hitters, how should I approach this?

I am leaning towards using the picks to tray hard for the top three of this list, then trying to trade for the other guys, as they might be able to be acquired reasonably.

Is this stupid? I jsut found that chipping away at hr and stolen bases simulaneously has tended to keep me near the top every year, as the runs and rbi are usually competivie with those guys too.

or am I being too greedy? I figure that maybe with a ladder pick, I coudl get abreu and ichiro, and maybe one of thoe guys later.

what do you guys think?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballboy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:45 pm

Here are the guys that hit at least 20 homers and stole at least 10 bags in 2004 listed in most homers order:

Guerrero
Beltran
Rodriguez
Batista
Wilkerson
C. Lee
Drew
D. Lee
Abreu
Cameron
Soriano
Mora
Patterson
Rowand
Jones
Boone
Jeter
Hunter
Giles
Sanders
Young
Cruz Jr.
Lawton
Damon
Byrnes
Guillen

I try to fill my team with these types but have found you will lack homers if you do not get a few 40 homer types included in your auction.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rlee » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:45 pm

Don't forget Aaron Boone will be back again this year. He could easily join the 20-10 club. Last year in Yahoo he was eligible at both 2B and 3B. I don't know if he will this dual eligibility or not.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:25 pm

I think you're right about Boone, he can easily make the 20-10 club, maybe even 20-20 - depends on how the leg heals. I don't think he will have dual eligibility next year because he didn't play any games in '04. You'll just have to check your league's rules. I don't know enough about Yahoo to speak with authority.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:23 pm

grammysboy wrote:I think you're right about Boone, he can easily make the 20-10 club, maybe even 20-20 - depends on how the leg heals. I don't think he will have dual eligibility next year because he didn't play any games in '04. You'll just have to check your league's rules. I don't know enough about Yahoo to speak with authority.

I don't even think that Yahoo knows enough about Yahoo. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Elf » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:24 am

I tend to go after guys that help in HRs & SBs as well. You could argue that you would be lacking in HRs without the big 40HR guys, but you also won't be hampered by no-power 60SB guys, so it even outs somewhat (though I don't encourage ignoring the 40HR guys). I've broken down the following players into teirs based on their HR/SB ratio from last year.

30/40:
Beltran
Abreu

30/20:
A-Rod
Cameron

30/10:
Vlad
Batista
Wilkerson
Drew
D. Lee
C. Lee

20/30:
Patterson

20/20:
Jeter
Lawton
Hunter
Sanders

20/10:
Damon
Soriano
Byrnes
Rowand
J. Jones
M. Young
C. Guillen
M. Mora
Cruz Jr.
B. Giles
B. Boone

And from 2003:

40/10:
A-Rod

30/30:
Soriano

30/20:
D. Lee

30/10:
Sheffield
C. Lee
B. Boone
Sanders
P. Wilson
Bagwell

20/40:
Beltran

20/20:
A. Boone
Mondesi
Abreu

20/10:
Garciaparra
Finley
M. Giles
Rolen
Grissom
Tejada

Interesting how things can change in just a year. :-?
**Insert Good Sig Here**
Elf
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:44 am

it's important to note at least in the way I do projections that SBs need to be looked at in current performance. Guys like Beltran and Abreu are very likely to repeat as 30+ sbs guys this year. I also like Patterson's chances of getting to 30/30 this year.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby great gretzky » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:03 pm

i wouldn't ignore the 40 hr guys per se.

I am thinking I would probably like to get one who might be an infielder, like a tex or something (although he might be more like 35)

I am also thinking that in the same way bonds' BA doesn't help nearly as much in roto for avg (because he doesn't get the volume of hits), dunn perhaps is a worthile risk because he is the inverse. if you couple dunn with ichiro, that would be sweet, and you would get cheap power. I am thinking of trying for those 5 cat guys, then fleshing out the power with some cheap power sources (or I should say CHEAPER)

any other guys who have misleading stats that could be exploited?>
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:56 pm

I wouldnt be suprised to see Dunn go relatively early (2nd - 3rd rd), so if you really want him, expect to pay a pretty steep price - his stats from last season have inflated his price quite a lot. Of course thats all relative to who you are drafting with and how they value him - just be careful because he can now be considered slightly overvalued in some circumstances.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:18 pm

great gretzky wrote:i wouldn't ignore the 40 hr guys per se.

I am thinking I would probably like to get one who might be an infielder, like a tex or something (although he might be more like 35)

I am also thinking that in the same way bonds' BA doesn't help nearly as much in roto for avg (because he doesn't get the volume of hits), dunn perhaps is a worthile risk because he is the inverse. if you couple dunn with ichiro, that would be sweet, and you would get cheap power. I am thinking of trying for those 5 cat guys, then fleshing out the power with some cheap power sources (or I should say CHEAPER)

any other guys who have misleading stats that could be exploited?>

Not a big fan of the Dunn and Ichiro combo ....
Both guys would have to get drafted close to the top five rounds...
and there combined three year average/2 would be .. (50/33/17)

Code: Select all
3yr   3yr   3yr   3yr   3yr   3yr   
R     H     HR    RBI   SB    AVG

98   181   23   71   22   0.305   suzuki/dunn
99   198   20   77   25   0.312   suzuki/d lee
100  204   18   74   21   0.319   suzuki/v wells
95   198   19   76   19   0.318   suzuki/lowell
97   207   20   78   19   0.326   suzuki/huff
89   183   17   69   20   0.310   suzuki/hidalgo

I added just a few other options that you might be able to get after Adam Dunn and won't kill your BA but you will still get similar if not better production ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers