2005 Rebound Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2005 Rebound Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:56 am

Vernon Wells: I love this guy, and it's hard to imagine, taking '03 into account, that he'll do as poorly as last year. Still, keep in mind that he's a very aggressive hitter, meaning that there's a good chance that he needs good pitches in order to succeed. In '03, he was hitting in front of Delgado, who was having an amazing year, so I'm sure he saw great pitches. Last year, with Delgado injured much of the year, Wells wasn't spectacular even when healthy. So assuming Delgado doesn't end up on the Jays, Wells will be all by himself, and I think he'll have a much tougher time. On the other hand, even before he was hitting in front of Delgado, he was considered a good prospect...so basically, I'm torn, but all I'm saying is to take into account the fact that he'll probably be hurt by Delgado's absence.

Garrett Anderson: If his injuries settle down a bit, he could have a good year in a great lineup. Of course, that's a big "if."

Troy Glaus: He's hitting in a ballpark where it's fairly easy to hit homeruns, meaning that he's a 40+ HR guy if he's healthy. Of course, he's also a .250 guy, which I personally don't like to have on my team, but depending on the rest of your lineup, he could be a good later-round pick. If I remember correctly, his contract with Arizona didn't include any specific stipulations or incentives about his health (I may be wrong about this, but this is what I remember), which means one of two things: either Arizona was so desperate and had so little to offer to Glaus that they were forced to guarantee both huge money and the absence of a specific health-based stipulation, OR they concluded that he was healed enough that it wasn't an issue. Although I think Arizona's signings haven't been very smart, I don't think they're THAT stupid, which means there's a good chance he's healed.[/b]
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mgoody6634 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:23 pm

I'm looking at some lower end guys, most of whom will be available in the draft of a shallow pool of players in my 20 team keeper league....
C: Miguel Olivo
1B: Jay Gibbons
2B: Ray Durham
3B: Morgan Ensberg
SS: Angel Berroa
OF: Austin Kearns
SP: Kip Wells
Kip Wells is my prime candidate on the lower end for a breakout season....I had him targeted last year for a huge season, but b/c of injuries he tailed off after a pretty solid start....Look at how his numbers improved from 2000 to 2003...better every single year in almost every category!....I know he's on the Pirates, but he has the tools and the potential to really break out this year....Disagree? Agree? Let me know
The Reds might stink, but I'm still a fan!
mgoody6634
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nomar88423 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:44 pm

I hope Zito has a bounce back year. If he can clear his head with all the crap that he tries.
nomar88423
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:38 pm

TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Giambi (steroids or not hes a great hitter)

Last 2 years under .250. On steroids, he was a great hitter. Since that time, he hasn't proven a thing other than a slower bat and increased K rate.

He's not a great (or even good) hitter right now.

I think Jason's gonna get run out of baseball sooner rather than later.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:50 am

If your league doesn't count BB, Brandon Webb should be a stud. He lost 16 last year so the media labeled it as a "bad season". In reality, 3/4 of his starts were 3 ER or less and his era was right around three and a half. If the D'backs actually have even a LITTLE hitting this season, he should be a great asset.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtarail » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:30 pm

Brett Boone.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortsavage » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:58 am

Gerald Laird could be a nice, cheap catcher option.

Hideo Nomo is done. Don't waste a pick on him.

Ray Durham had an awesome, healthy second half.

Adam Dunn bounced back last season, but some people may still not be buying his turnaround, so take advantage of that and select him early.

Rafael Furcal will come at a discount.

Aaron Boone should be on your radar.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby baseballboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 pm

djacks wrote:What about Brian Giles? Or is PetCo gonna be the end of him?

Tough call but I think he's in decline.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby grammysboy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:07 am

dleoboyd wrote:A few that pop into my head are Mike Mussina, Javier Vazquez, Vernon Wells, Wade Miller, Randy Wolf, Kerry Wood, Garret Anderson, Richard Hidalgo, Maggs, Jason Giambi, and Mike Sweeney.

I would think a good Orioles fan would be looking for Jay Gibbons to rebound from an injury plagued season in '04 and return to the 100 RBI player he was in '03
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Shawn Green, he has always hit in BOB, where he'll now be playing half of his games.

Matt Morris - Shoulder surgery and a hometown discount 9 million dollar pay cut may bring him back to the stratosphere. I see him pitching well from July on, if you can wait that long.

Danny Kolb - Good call Trev. This guy is good and should only get better under the tutulage (sp) of Boby Cox, Leo Mazzone, and John Smoltz.

John Smoltz - The guy is a bull dog, and there is no reason to beleive that he will not be successful as a starter. He said that starting would actually be EASIER on his arm because he didn't have to warm up all the time.

Octavio Dotel - Too good of stuff to be that bad. I know he wasn't horrible, but he should have been a lot better.

Dan Haren - Good stuff, good head, good park, maybe not a sleeper or comeback player, but i look for him to have a solid year.

Louis Gonzalez - Hurt last year. sure he's getting old, but he is hitting in a better line-up, so it might be interesting.

Aramis Ramirez - I know he had a great year last year, but if Sosa leaves, Ramirez will be the premier hitter in a pretty solid line-up. I look for a big year from him.

That's just a few.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers