Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby denvermax » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:18 pm

Im hoping Brett Boone can bounce back.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:36 am

B. Boone is a person I have always had a great deal of suspicion of as being a roid-boy. Suddenly looked like a smurf on roids and the numbers shot up. Last year, big drop. Coincidence, maybe?

Yeah yeah, he no one can prove a thing. Caveat emtor though.

He is not getting any younger, so while he may not be as bad as he was i 2004, I can't see a return to top numbers either.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby looptid » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:59 am

StlSluggers wrote:Huff. Terrible start. Great finish.
Crud. I was going to say the same thing. His 2004 final totals weren't all that far off from his 2003 numbers, but I think he'll improve on last year, especially his power numbers rebounding.

2003 1st Half: .542 SLG
2003 2nd Half: .572 SLG
2004 1st Half: .452 SLG
2004 2nd Half: .579 SLG

His first half last season seems like the exception in the group. Though if you look at his 2002 season, he seems to be making a case for himself as the "second half player". He slugged .461 in the first half and .546 in the second. And important thing to note, however, is that 2002 was only his sophmore campaign, and the second half of that season is when he broke out for the first time.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:23 am

Erboes wrote:Good list, but be weary of Ordonez out of Comisky. His home/road splits are very large.

Mussina is a huge sleeper and could win many a championships alone.

I don't have Mags 04 spilts, but from 01-03 he did well on the road.

H 303 avg
R 324 avg

H 58 hrs
R 42 hrs

H 192 rbis
R 155 rbis

Chicago scored 1,156 home runs, versus 1,035 road runs, so that explains the rbi drop. Comiskey played a 100 avg index, and a 130 hr index. So he hits 5 more home hrs a year. But still his road numbers aren't bad if you double the road average. Comes out to 28 hrs, 102 rbis, doubling his road averages.

I guess i'm not as hot on Moose as you guys. Still can pitch, but at age 36, it's a concern. Giving up a hit per inning, with a g/f ratio that has been dropping for awhile.

Morris is frustrating. I hate the guy.

No one mentioned Zito, who seem to look better as the year went on.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Bukoski77 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:17 am

I'll throw Joel Pineiro onto the list.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:50 am

HOOTIE wrote:Morris is frustrating. I hate the guy.

No one mentioned Zito, who seem to look better as the year went on.

Try having him on your team in real life. :-° :-D

I was going to say Zito, I still think he can come back to somewhere near his Cy-Young year, but I figured I'd get run out of town on that one. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:54 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I was going to say Zito, I still think he can come back to somewhere near his Cy-Young year, but I figured I'd get run out of town on that one. :-D

it would be awesome if he could get back to the form of a couple years ago, but my doubts are pretty high......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dleoboyd » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:45 pm

I think next season we will see more of the Zito that we saw during the 2nd half of last season. I think that he will reduce his BB and slightly increase his K/9IP, which will help decrease his ERA and WHIP and maybe help him get a few more wins, by pitching deeper into games. I don't really have any statistical backing for these projections (some may call wishful thinking), more of a gut feeling.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby looptid » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Kyle Lohse

Just caught that. Lohse has serious head problems. The only way I can see him helping a baseball team in Minnesota trying to challenge hitters with a 92 mph fastball would be if he signs with the St. Paul Saints in the Northern League (independent AA ball, Kevin Millar, Rey Ordonez, and Daryl Strawberry among others, so I guess it's not a total lost cause). He's constantly shaking his catcher off while getting bombed, gets in arguements with Gardenhire in the dugout over pitch selection, and then blames the offense for not getting equivical run support compared to the other Twins' starters. You can read that last gripe again if you'd like. Run support. As compared to Twins' starters. Yikes.

His curve looks good, has a very tight rotation, but he just won't throw the damn thing.

The indicators don't look good for Lohse either. His K/9 have gone down each of the past two seasons:

2002: 6.18 K/9, 1.77 K/BB, 1.39 WHIP
2003: 5.82 K/9, 2.89 K/BB, 1.27 WHIP
2004: 5.15 K/9, 1/46 K/BB, 1.53 WHIP

The only progress he seems to have made was cutting his walks allowed in half from 2002 to 2003, and then he completely relapsed in 2004, making 2003 look like the exception. Even still, none of those totals, 2003 included, are really great. They approach average, so I guess if you're in a 14 team AL League or a 30 team mixed league, he could be worth a little, but things don't look good.

For the Twins' sake, I hope Lohse realizes that he isn't going to succeed as a power pitcher at the major league level, because he's probably going to approach 200 innings again. If the Twins resign Radke, with Durbin, Balfour, and Baker all looking to start, 2005 will probably be Lohse's last chance to prove he belongs in the Twins' rotation.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:56 pm

I'm not going to argue about Lohse being a headcase cause he is. Last year, he was one of the worst SP in all of baseball. I'm hoping that 2004 served as a sort of wake-up call for him. He had some success in 03 and I think he has the talent to be a good starter. His fastball, slider and curve are all good but I would like to see him add a changeup. I definitely think that he can bounce back from a very disappointing last year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers