Giambi, and now Bonds: Bonds took steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi, and now Bonds: Bonds took steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:31 am

GiantFan666 wrote:I'm jumping into the pool late here but first of all, the mods have definitely been earning their pay(or lack thereof) with this thread ;-D Secondly, I have to agree with the others on this one, the Chronicle is going back to well these days as a Hearst Publication
This is the paper that brought you amongst other things Reefer Madness and the Spanish American War... you furnish the pictures
I'll furnish the war... I do find it suspicious that the paper that has kept this story in the news never publishes any kind of transcripts only the fact that they did it! Bonds has allegedly admitted to taking the clear and the cream but there isn't any mention of how long he took them only the fact that he didn't know what they were.. the way Balco was set up, you would go in and meet with them and they would take blood samples etc. and look for deficencies in your diet and then provide you with a diet supplement based on your tests... If you were geting this from a lifelong friend and he told you it was a dietary supplement etc etc. .. would any of you honestly question it that much? Are you going to ask for a diagram of the molecules ? Personally I believe Barry Bonds story a lot more than that of Sosa's corked bat or the fact that MLB tested all of his bats and they came up clean for that matter... Plain and simple I think that the owner's are using this to take back some power from the Union and nothing else

If I was Barry Bonds - no, I wouldn't trust somebody else giving me some mystery substance to use. And I wouldn't believe somebody of Bonds' stature claiming he didn't know what he used.

As Rance Mulliniks, former Blue Jay pinch hitter extraordinaire put it: It's insulting for him to think we'd fall for an excuse like that.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chinch sacs » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:09 am

I saw this at Rotoworld:

Jason Giambi - 1B - Yankees

Agent Arn Tellem released a statement Monday professing that Jason Giambi has every intention of returning to the Yankees for 2005.
Even though the Yankees are pessimistic that they'll have any luck voiding Giambi's deal, they haven't issued any statements supporting their first baseman. They could try working out a buyout even if it means paying Giambi more than half of the $82 million he's still owed. If it happens, speculation is that Giambi could return to Oakland to attempt to put his career back together. Dec. 6 - 11:51 pm et
Source: Newsday

I don't know if I want him back in Oakland, but I guess if he is cheap enough ;-7
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1marlinsfan02 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:30 am

Holy Crap! This is crazy! Baseball is coming to its end. First Rose bets on baseball. Then the Bambino curse is BROKEN. And now three of the best players to ever play the game were on steriods all along? Wow, now we gotta look at some of the football players...... :-D

Da Host on the light side
no1marlinsfan02
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:29 am

It will only be a while until Ichiro finally comes out about it, you know he juiced
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:35 pm

Could I have had any more typos in my last post. It was late wow.
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lesgrant » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:34 pm

I’ve been reading posts on this board for the better part of a year regarding this topic. The level of rationalization and denial that occurs amongst the hard-core Bonds defenders is truly off the charts.

The fact is that these people will never be satisfied with any level of evidence. An unnamed source is as common as a byline in journalism. To say that a statement is unreliable purely because someone doesn’t go on the record (because they would go to jail for leaking grand jury testimony) is desperate. There are thousands of unnamed sources for thousands of articles in sports and politics every day. Most fans who are drawing the line on this one, don’t blink an eye at any of those – which more often than not deal with far more important issues in our society than Barry Bonds.

But this whole ‘show me the evidence’ movement amongst the Bonds apologists has been a weak, but consistent, attempt to draw anyone, who states what is pretty much obvious, into a catch 22 because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE A SMOKING GUN in this situation.

They will say things like ‘he has to admit it himself’. When word of that comes out, they attack the credibility of journalists based on some sort of bias that they feel when they hear something they don’t like. It is impossible for grand jury testimony that is sealed to be legally released to the public, but they will demand that the unnamed source stand up and go to jail for telling America the truth. The fact is, even without Barry admitting to ‘roids use, the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. Scott Peterson was convicted on such evidence. No one saw him kill his wife. There was no murder weapon with his prints on it at the scene. It was just common sense. Same applies here.

1. It is unnatural for someone to physically excel to Barry’s proportions at his age. If I saw his father do so, I’d be more apt to believe it because of genetics. But, because that didn’t happen, I’m less likely to believe it because of genetics. Similarly, if he hit 60-70 HRs for the majority of his career, I’d tend to say it’s legit. But almost doubling your output in one season in the twilight of his career? Huge red flag.

2. Anderson dealt ‘roids out to as many people as he could, including Bond’s training partner Shef, but not his prime client?

3. It has also been reported that there are records of payments sent to BALCO from Bonds and courier records showing deliveries from BALCO to Bonds. So he had a relationship with a known steroid distributor.

4. I was listening to Mike and the Mad Dog here in NYC a couple of days ago and Chris Russo (Mad Dog), who is the biggest Barry Bonds fan on the planet, said he spoke with an unnamed friend of his in the Justice Department who told him not only that the reported testimony was true, but that they have Bonds “nailed” on more than just the ’03 season. Russo could NEVER be dismissed as a Bonds-hater. Bonds was (and I mean past tense) his idol. When this stuff first surfaced, Russo defended Bonds to his last breath.

Circumstantial evidence, taken individually, can be easily dismissed. But, collectively, it paints a pretty convincing picture. Splitting hairs over a statement here and a statement there only obscures the forest with the trees. Injection, balm, rub, osmosis, it doesn’t matter. It’s still taking ‘roids.

I guess I could go out to a street corner somewhere and buy a bag of a white substance from a known drug dealer, go home, and then re-emerge totally invigorated with a case of the sniffles and then try and claim I only had a cup of coffee. But, anyone with any level of objectivity would know better. No drug test would be necessary. Such a test might me necessary for those who are close to me that would never believe I’d do such a thing. But, for the average person who is indifferent towards me, it would be obvious.

I agree with what was posted earlier that the onus is on Bonds. If this report by the SF Chronicle is a fabricated lie and he never admitted to taking steroids, then WHERE’S THE LAWSUIT? And don’t say that a potential smear on his legacy isn’t something to sue over.

We have heard Bonds and some of his fans on this board arrogantly attack anyone who proclaims that the emperor is naked. Such attacks are weak and desperate. If Barry has been unjustly fingered for using steroids he reportedly admitted to taking, then he needs to file suit so that he will be able to say UNDER OATH that he never testified such to the grand jury. But this will never happen because he is clinging by a thread on the confidentiality surrounding the issue. In fact, the Player’s Union’s number one priority is preserving the confidentiality of ‘roids tests so that players can continue to use and test positive and escape the deserved scorn Bonds is facing now.

On another note, it was said earlier that baseball is a private institution and government has no place interfering in it. Not so. Many ballparks are financed with public money, hence the public concern. I cannot wait for the legislature to give the Player’s Union the bi#chslap it’s been begging for.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Excellent post lesgrant. I fear it will fall on deaf ears however.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:56 pm

For some it may fall on deaf ears..... but iit's in a way how I feel. It's one thing to say that it's not PROVEN until the testimony is released, and another thing to say you won't BELIEVE he did steroids until the testimony is released. I definately believe Bonds used steroids, I've said that all along.

Also, it's ridiculous to say that outsiders including the government should have a say in the drug policy. The government should be able to give financial incentives, yeah, but not everybody who helps finance a stadium gets to implement steroid policies, that's crazy talk.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 pm

eftda wrote:
LBJackal wrote:For some it may fall on deaf ears..... but iit's in a way how I feel. It's one thing to say that it's not PROVEN until the testimony is released, and another thing to say you won't BELIEVE he did steroids until the testimony is released. I definately believe Bonds used steroids, I've said that all along.

Same here. I think he has taken something (insert long list of drugs) but i'm hping he didn't take roids. IMO, there isn't enough proof that he took roids.

No, there isn't proof, but after looking at the circumstancial evidence you don't think it was roids?

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers