Giambi, and now Bonds: Bonds took steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi, and now Bonds: Bonds took steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'm nto sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 pm

DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm nto sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.


Yeah I know, but athletes who are suspected of using performance enhancing drugs could be using HGH as well or in lieu of steroids.

What I'm saying is that the correlation casual fans see between "cheaters" (players using performance enhancing drugs) and unusally large heads could very well be justified. But also, I don't think that matters much because that's the least of the circumstancial evidence as far as I'm concerned.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:17 pm

DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm not sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.


and I have yet to see any acuasation of him using HGH.
I thought he was accused of using steriods, most specifically the clear and the cream?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:23 pm

wrveres wrote:
DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm not sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.


and I have yet to see any acuasation of him using HGH.
I thought he was accused of using steriods, most specifically the clear and the cream?


Maybe I didn't make it as clear in my first post. Even if he used HGH, which I don't know if he did (and therefore, presume innocent), it is legal in baseball to use. I'm not implicating Bonds at all, I'm just stating the facts.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:23 pm

DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm nto sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.


Are you serious? Human Growth Hormones were banned by Major League Baseball a long time ago. They're synthetically engineered anabolic hormones that are used for muscle growth. They decrease body fat and increased fat free mass. They also stimulate bone and cartilage growth, which is why people accuse Barry of having a "watermelon head".
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby DK » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:30 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:
DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm nto sure if it's true, but FatGuy mentioned how HGH makes your head bigger. Not that it matters much, because that's the least important of the circumstancial evidence IMO.


Not that it matters (because it hasn't been proven, again, that he uses steroids) but if what you say is true, it doesn't matter. HGH is not a banned substance.


Are you serious? Human Growth Hormones were banned by Major League Baseball a long time ago. They're synthetically engineered anabolic hormones that are used for muscle growth. They decrease body fat and increased fat free mass. They also stimulate bone and cartilage growth, which is why people accuse Barry of having a "watermelon head".


Huh...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/02/giambi.steroids.ap/

Penalties for steroid use in baseball began in 2003, but testing that identified players didn't start until the next season. Human growth hormone, or hGH, is not specifically banned by the major leagues.


http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7134476

Steroids were not banned by major league baseball until late 2002 and testing with penalties didn't begin until this month. Human growth hormone is not banned by baseball because there is no test for it, according to Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president for labor relations.


I could go on. Do you want me to?
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:33 pm

I stand corrected.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:55 am

So DK you believe what you read over at CBS sportsline.com and CNNSportsillustrated, you take that as being the gospel truth, BUT yet the San Francisco Chronicle you do not believe. So if the web site or newspaper says what you want them to say then you believe them??? As long as the source suits your needs, I guess that is your motto??

I know this basic common sense says Bonds is/was on roids or HGH. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to connect the dots. If you guys want to bury your heads in the sand and Believe that your hero Barry Bonds thats fine, but I know that you really believe him to be on or have been on roids or HGH or both.

One last point this is NOT a court of law this is a court of public opinion. And in the court of public opinion one is not inncocent until proven guilty. Bonds is GUILTY!!!!!!! Use your common sense.

the COW has spoken
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:09 am

I can't speak for DK but I don't think most people here think Bonds is innocent. You'd have to be crazy to think he didn't take steroids IMO. But there isn't any proof that he did.

The Chronicle claiming they have evidence against Bonds is different than CNN or CBS stating facts corroborated by MLB executives.

And The Chronicle has been known to be biased towards Bonds for years, so that is another reason why so many people are doubting their "facts".
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby GiantFan666 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:40 am

I'm jumping into the pool late here but first of all, the mods have definitely been earning their pay(or lack thereof) with this thread ;-D Secondly, I have to agree with the others on this one, the Chronicle is going back to well these days as a Hearst Publication
This is the paper that brought you amongst other things Reefer Madness and the Spanish American War... you furnish the pictures
I'll furnish the war... I do find it suspicious that the paper that has kept this story in the news never publishes any kind of transcripts only the fact that they did it! Bonds has allegedly admitted to taking the clear and the cream but there isn't any mention of how long he took them only the fact that he didn't know what they were.. the way Balco was set up, you would go in and meet with them and they would take blood samples etc. and look for deficencies in your diet and then provide you with a diet supplement based on your tests... If you were geting this from a lifelong friend and he told you it was a dietary supplement etc etc. .. would any of you honestly question it that much? Are you going to ask for a diagram of the molecules ? Personally I believe Barry Bonds story a lot more than that of Sosa's corked bat or the fact that MLB tested all of his bats and they came up clean for that matter... Plain and simple I think that the owner's are using this to take back some power from the Union and nothing else
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1588
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Midwest Hell aka Omaha

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:09 hours
(and 91 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact