Sammy Sosa...anything left in the tank? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sammy Sosa...anything left in the tank?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:46 pm

dleoboyd wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Im in a new slow keeper draft right now and we are mid way thru the 5th round and he is still left. I am suprised noone has taken a chance on him by now. I am intrested to see how long he will last.

If this is a 12 team league, my guess is that he would go somewhere in the late 5th or early 6th round......Let us know where he goes, I'm pretty interested to know as well.

Assuming kent isn't currently in another 12 team keeper league slow draft, Sammy Sosa was just taken at 7.10.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:48 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:
dleoboyd wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Im in a new slow keeper draft right now and we are mid way thru the 5th round and he is still left. I am suprised noone has taken a chance on him by now. I am intrested to see how long he will last.

If this is a 12 team league, my guess is that he would go somewhere in the late 5th or early 6th round......Let us know where he goes, I'm pretty interested to know as well.

Assuming kent isn't currently in another 12 team keeper league slow draft, Sammy Sosa was just taken at 7.10.

That's not too bad. I think that his numbers will be good. Just not Sosa good.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kentx12 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:48 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:
dleoboyd wrote:

Yep same draft. You arent supposed to be reading my post.. :-D I was really suprised he lasted that long but I wasnt going to be the 1 who took a chance on him.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dleoboyd » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:42 am

Thanks for letting us know where he went.....I can't say I'm surprised he lasted that long, apparently there are quite a few people that think he is completely finished. I, on the other hand, think that he will match last season's numbers with a slight improvement next season. I see him hitting 35-40 HRs and brining his average up into the .260's.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:49 am

Erboes wrote:Since Rotoguys.com is the only projection service that predicted his decline last season, I feel that is my duty to explain here once again why: His bat has slowed to the point where he has to cheat to hit a home run. This not only drags down his average, but also it makes him commit to swinging even at pitches way out of the strike zone, which is why his selectivity stinks at this point in his career. Worse still is his numbers last season were aided by the wind blowing out in Wrigley. If it wasn't his numbers would have been even worse. If he gets traded to the Mets you can expect worse numbers to the point where he is dropped from the line up all together by the end of the season. Jackal is right, Cameron is a much better option.

By the way, baseball projections will be available on Rotoguys.com some point later today.

The normal path of a slugger. As they get older, they need to open up a little more, start their swings a little sooner, swing at more bad balls, etc. Throw in the drop due to being off steroids, and I see .250/30HR. As for getting more AB, I'm not so sure. Presuming he was on steroids, lots of evidence showing that they do wicked things to your body after extended use. Throwing out his back while sneezing seems weird to me. I'm guessing more aches and pains and not much chance of 500+ AB.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers