Sammy Sosa...anything left in the tank? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sammy Sosa...anything left in the tank?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:54 pm

dleoboyd wrote:I think that Sosa still has more left in the tank than most of us are giving him credit for. We aren't going to get anymore 320/.400/.625, 60 HR seasons out of him, but I think that a .270/.350/.550, 40+ HR season or two is well within the realm of possibility. I have a hard time believing that he is truly as bad as he was last year.......What we also have to remember is that he struggled with health issues last season and was limited to 478 AB and he still hit 35 HRs. Give him another 100 AB and a season uninterrupted by injury and I think we'd all be singing a different tune.

I agree ;-D
the .270 may be a tad high .. but 35 hrs is very realistic ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:51 pm

Im in a new slow keeper draft right now and we are mid way thru the 5th round and he is still left. I am suprised noone has taken a chance on him by now. I am intrested to see how long he will last.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:55 pm

wrveres wrote:
dleoboyd wrote:I think that Sosa still has more left in the tank than most of us are giving him credit for. We aren't going to get anymore 320/.400/.625, 60 HR seasons out of him, but I think that a .270/.350/.550, 40+ HR season or two is well within the realm of possibility. I have a hard time believing that he is truly as bad as he was last year.......What we also have to remember is that he struggled with health issues last season and was limited to 478 AB and he still hit 35 HRs. Give him another 100 AB and a season uninterrupted by injury and I think we'd all be singing a different tune.

I agree ;-D

In Wrigley, perhaps. But if he happens to go to Shea, write him off. ;-)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:04 pm

wrveres wrote:

I agree ;-D

I agree completely. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:11 pm

kentx12 wrote:Im in a new slow keeper draft right now and we are mid way thru the 5th round and he is still left. I am suprised noone has taken a chance on him by now. I am intrested to see how long he will last.

If this is a 12 team league, my guess is that he would go somewhere in the late 5th or early 6th round......Let us know where he goes, I'm pretty interested to know as well.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby sisyphus » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:52 pm

He went Round 4, pick 7 in a 5x5 10 team roto mock draft I just finished. I think this was too early. There might not be a lot of real power threats (35-40HR) left at that point, but there are more valuable players to be had.
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rlee » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:34 am

While the power numbers might still be there, I think the big concern is the sliding batting average. An OF with 500 ABs and a .250 average will kill your fantasy team. In that sense, you're almost better off with someone like Mike Cameron who at least will get 25 SBs.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:15 am

I'd probably take Cameron over Sosa. They'll have similar BA and R, Sosa will have a dozen more HR, possibly 20 more max IMO, and Cameron will have 20+ more SB's. Sosa will also have about 20 more RBI. So it comes down to 25 SB's or 15 HR and 20 RBI. I'll take the 25 SB's.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

No way

Postby Budworth22 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:46 am

Sosa is absolutely done. A declining ability to judge the strike zone, which he never had much of anyway. He's getting older, and looks to be off the juice. He is going to a city with colder weather, although now by much. And most importantly, He's going to a much better pitchers division, both in pitching talent, and SHEA STADIUM!. This park is hell on right handed sluggers. I see .250-28-75.
Bud
Budworth22
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Tallahassee/ Ft. Myers ST Home of the Sox and Twins

Postby Erboes » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:18 pm

Since Rotoguys.com is the only projection service that predicted his decline last season, I feel that is my duty to explain here once again why: His bat has slowed to the point where he has to cheat to hit a home run. This not only drags down his average, but also it makes him commit to swinging even at pitches way out of the strike zone, which is why his selectivity stinks at this point in his career. Worse still is his numbers last season were aided by the wind blowing out in Wrigley. If it wasn't his numbers would have been even worse. If he gets traded to the Mets you can expect worse numbers to the point where he is dropped from the line up all together by the end of the season. Jackal is right, Cameron is a much better option.

By the way, baseball projections will be available on Rotoguys.com some point later today.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers