uneventful off-season for closers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

uneventful off-season for closers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

uneventful off-season for closers?

Postby ghostfacek » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:12 pm

after the Benitez and Percival signings, the only new situations are Mota, K-Rod, and maybe BJ Ryan which we all saw coming anyway. are their any teams left looking for a closer? and who would they go after. only ones i can think of are maybe the Cubs, Braves, and the Rockies unless they throw Tsao out to the wolves.. yikes...
ghostfacek
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasy czar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:36 pm

i don't know if there is any validity to this but i heard on ESPN Radio in Chicago that the Cubs may go after Danny Kolb from the Brew-Crew. Any thoughts on that?
fantasy czar Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:39 pm

The Cubbies are definitely in need of a top line closer IMO. I'm not sure about that Kolb rumor, but it just doesn't really make much sense to me. I thought they'd take a hard run at Percival then Benitez, but those options are already gone. Don't guess I really answered either question huh? :-b
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:39 pm

fantasy czar wrote:i don't know if there is any validity to this but i heard on ESPN Radio in Chicago that the Cubs may go after Danny Kolb from the Brew-Crew. Any thoughts on that?

I've heard the same but I don't see it happening....
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:48 pm

I believe the Braves will try to sign a closer. From what I hear on local radio reports looks like Smoltz is going to start.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:08 pm

If any teams needing a closer can get Kolb, that'd be a great addition IMO. He doens't get K's but he has amazing control and doesn't allow HR's. That's exactly what you want in a closer. And from what I've seen closers with good control usually choke less in the playoffs.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:01 am

I would love Kolb to be dealt to a winning team, seeing as I drafted him in my current Keeper draft. I doubt the Brewers deal him. This is the last I heard on the situation.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/nov04/276732.asp

The Chicago Cubs, among others, have asked about the availability of closer Dan Kolb, a Boras client who is arbitration-eligible.

“His contract is manageable,” said Melvin, who paid Kolb $1.5 million last season. “(The Cubs) asked about him but I said I don’t have to move him.

“The only trade you’d do is if it helped your ballclub. He’s still part of what we’re trying to do. Unless I get bowled over, I’m not motivated to move him.”
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 am

If I were the Cubs, I wouldn't screw around with Kolb. He got lit up pretty solidly after the All-Star break last year (1.43 WHIP) and there are few instances of finess guys like that making truely elite closers. I would give up a little more and try and get Urbina who has a long track record and proven performance in a pennant race.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:01 pm

kentx12 wrote:I believe the Braves will try to sign a closer. From what I hear on local radio reports looks like Smoltz is going to start.

I'm curious - any rumors as to who would close if this did happen? I'd guess it would come out of Reitsma, Cruz or Capellan.

Also, with his $100k/start provision, would they try and renegotiate?
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby ghostfacek » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:32 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I believe the Braves will try to sign a closer. From what I hear on local radio reports looks like Smoltz is going to start.

I'm curious - any rumors as to who would close if this did happen? I'd guess it would come out of Reitsma, Cruz or Capellan.

Also, with his $100k/start provision, would they try and renegotiate?

I can't see them using Capellan in his first year (unless he starts out great and is eventually needed to take over). But i just dont see the Braves using him out of ST, it doesnt seem like something they'd do... Cruz did good as an Rp last year (much better then Reitsma), so maybe they'll use him?.. or maybe they'll make a trade.. haven't heard any rumors yet
ghostfacek
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers