100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

zito rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

zito rumor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:20 pm

Thursday, December 2, 2004

The Pitch on Pitching

It’s time to report some more rumors and some speculation about Cardinals pitching, 2005 style.

Zito Offer Made

I have it from a very good source that the Cardinals recently made a firm proposal to the Oakland A’s for Barry Zito offering a package including Jason Marquis.

However, at this point, it is unclear whether the A’s want to move another starter, now that they dumped Mark Redman’s contract (and reliever Arthur Rhodes’ too) on the Pittsburgh Pirates in the Jason Kendall deal. Yet, the inclusion of Marquis would afford the A’s a less-expensive rotation replacement for Zito.

The feeling is that Dave Duncan could tinker with Zito and return him to past glory after a difficult 2004. Zito, 26, had a disappointing 11-11 record with an alarming 4.48 ERA, over a run worse than his previous career low point.

The lefty is signed for 2005 at $4.8 million and currently has about 4-1/2 years of MLB service time. As a result, I believe he could be kept for two more seasons. However, his teammate, Tim Hudson, will be a free agent after the 2005 season, perhaps making Zito a more attractive target financially.

http://home.earthlink.net/~brwalton/

if you arent familiar with the source, walton writes for http://www.thestlcardinals.com/ which was the first place to break the news on pujols $100 million deal. they have some credibility, more than the post dispatch in my opinion.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:48 pm

I know that he has pissed some people off but I would rather have Marquis on my staff than Zito.

Duncan is amazing at tinkering with pitchers' mechanics and turning them around but with Zito I'm not sure that you wouldn't need a psychiatrist and not a pitching coach. He's the flakiest thing since the graham cracker.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I know that he has pissed some people off but I would rather have Marquis on my staff than Zito.

Duncan is amazing at tinkering with pitchers' mechanics and turning them around but with Zito I'm not sure that you wouldn't need a psychiatrist and not a pitching coach. He's the flakiest thing since the graham cracker.

the thing about marquis is that he doesnt want to listen. tony and dunc asked him to make some changes because they thought he was tipping pitches and he refused. then he pouted about being dropped to 4th starter for the WS. i have heard pretty much the same story when he was with atlanta. marquis could still be good. i am not writing him off. but i think now is a good 'sell high' time on jason. marquis may need the psychiatrist as much as zito and his ceiling isnt nearly as high.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:02 pm

Personally I'd rather have Zito than Marquis. I think Marquis was more a product of Mazzone and the Atlanta mystique than anything. Zito is a huge upgrade and a what's more a lefty. It may be wishful thinking, but I think a change of scenery may do him some good.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:20 am

If I have to choose:

Zito ;-D
Marquis :-t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:58 am

all of the other sources i have seen said we are after hudson, not zito. doesnt matter too much to me, i wouldnt mind having either of them.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:23 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:all of the other sources i have seen said we are after hudson, not zito. doesnt matter too much to me, i wouldnt mind having either of them.

Same here. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals