m's rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

m's rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:44 pm

LBJackal wrote:I've never understood all the hype around Pineiro. He had a good 2002 but other than that he's been mediocre. He gives up a lot of HR's and his K/BB isn't anything special. I think he gets more credit than he should for his 2002 season which I don't think he'll repeat.

Same here. I've never been that impressed with him really. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheAbreu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:46 pm

I'll just slightly disagree with you guys about Piniero. I do understand that he hasn't lived up to his expectations recently, but he is now a bargain pick considering his 2004 season. He has the upside to give you 15 wins, 3.50 ERA, 150 Ks. That's not a bad deal at all if you consider he will be drafted pretty late after a disappointing 04 season.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swingaway » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:07 am

Pineiro = sleeper pick :-D
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby io » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:22 am

dleoboyd wrote:
stumpak wrote:I believe he is supposed to be out at least until july/august. Also, he perfers the bullpen so its likely the M's would leave him there for this year when he returns.

Wow, I didn't think he'd be out that long....I thought that he was originally hurt last April or May, but it must have been later than that. Thanks for the info.

he got hurt after the first week of the season and the mariners completely shut him down for a few months, and eventually the whole season.. when he wasn't getting better they finally decided he needed TJ surgery, this was around september i think. last i heard for a return was july/august too (at the earliest)..

i can't see him ever starting again for a few reasons

1. he wants to stay in relief

2. the mariners wont want to risk his arm when he returns

3. he might not have enough stamina to handle starting

4. they have enough young pitchers to cover the rotation, and its not worth the risk. maybe a couple of years from now, things might look different, but i dont really see that happening. i'm guessing they would at least have to see how he responds in relief for a couple of seasons first
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby denvermax » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:33 pm

As of now, the rotation should have (in an order similar to this one):

Moyer
Piniero
Meche
Franklin
Madstrich

However, do not be surprised that if either Travis Blackley or Clint Nageotte have a good spring training, one of them or perhaps both could be starters. Both of these pitchers have talent and should become good to great pitchers in the big leagues someday.

The Mariners will probably bring one starting pitcher in, taking someone elses spot. They have offered a contract to Jaret Wright and are looking at Pavano and Ortiz.

Also, I wouldn't count on Soriano being in the rotation at all this year. He should miss half the season and his injury could linger even after that. He has never really been used as a big league starter and Id be surprised if this is the year where he can prove himself worthy as being one instead of a middle relief man. Soriano could also close, he has that type of arm. But who knows, with a new manager, Soriano may get his chance in August or September with the Mariners probably out of the playoff hunt. It will be interesting to see how his surgery will affect how he throws.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers