Giambi used steroids... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi used steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Here's an article from ESPN:

Or the Yankees could attempt to address this matter on their own -- starting with an exploration of whether it would be possible to void the contract.

But voiding the contract isn't the Yankees' only option. They would also have two other potential avenues, according to the MLB source:

1. Attempting to convert Giambi's deal to a non-guaranteed contract (ostensibly by claiming breach of contract).

Or 2. refusing to pay Giambi for time missed while injured (ostensibly because they would allege that that time missed resulted from steroid use).

But you don't need to do a 200-page study of baseball's labor history to know the union would fight any of those measures.

The union has always argued that, in cases like this, the basic agreement supercedes any specific language in individual player contracts. And the basic agreement would protect Giambi's guaranteed money in virtually all cases.

Jason Giambi has four years left on his contract.

However, the union did not fight the Yankees when they negotiated a buyout of Aaron Boone's contract last winter, after Boone blew out his knee playing basketball -- an activity specifically prohibited by his contract.

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=1936931

See with Boone, what he did was specifically prohibited by his contract - we don't know whether what Giambi admitted to was prohibited by his contract.
It specifically said in Boone's contract not to play basketball and even then there was a buyout. I doubt Giambi's contract reads that he is prohibited from doing steroids. The Yankees are going to have to give him something.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:25 pm

If they throw Giambi under the bus, they also have to do the same to Bonds and Sheffield. You can't possibly punish 1 without the other 2. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:28 pm

Whos going to punish Giambi? THe Union or the Yankees. You need to make this clear. If the union throws the book at Giambi, then they will do the same to everyone who tested positive, not just him. If the yankees take action, then other teams dont have to follow. IMO.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 pm

eftda wrote:Whos going to punish Giambi? THe Union or the Yankees. You need to make this clear. If the union throws the book at Giambi, then they will do the same to everyone who tested positive, not just him. If the yankees take action, then other teams dont have to follow. IMO.

The union will do nothing. The Yankees will try but probably fail unless Giambi is reasonable. The league is the 1 that I am talking about.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:If they throw Giambi under the bus, they also have to do the same to Bonds and Sheffield. You can't possibly punish 1 without the other 2. :-?

This is precisely what I said in the other thread. If one goes down, ALL go down.

Also...do not be surprised if Bonds announces his retirement soon, maybe before this season. It would not surprise me in the least. Do you think he wants to hit number 756 and hear the crowd chanting STEROIDS...STEROIDS as he hits home plate? He hates the media anyway and likes Hank Aaron, I can see Bonds retiring.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:35 pm

Bonds doesn't care what the crowd is chanting. But in SF, the fog clouds most of the ''fans'' minds. IMO, I wont belive he took them untill he says so. Just like Pete Rose, I didn't believe untill he told america.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:42 pm

eftda wrote:Bonds doesn't care what the crowd is chanting. But in SF, the fog clouds most of the ''fans'' minds. IMO, I wont belive he took them untill he says so. Just like Pete Rose, I didn't believe untill he told america.

Lol, you're right about that fog. Bonds did admit to taking steroids. He testified in front of a grand jury. He just never said that he knew what they were (which is such a crock of $h!t that I'd throw him in jail for purgery).
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:58 pm

that doesn't count
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:59 pm

eftda wrote:that doesn't count

Lol and why not?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:00 pm

because I say so
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers