Breaking News: Yankees drop out of RJ Sweepstakes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Breaking News: Yankees drop out of RJ Sweepstakes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:31 pm

Arizona is being too greedy for sure. But consider that (1) they got burned bad on the Schilling deal last year and (2) the Yankees have all but invited such greed by foolishly announcing to the world that the Unit was their "number one priority." I'm a Yankee fan, but come on -- this is a foolish negotiating strategy that gives Arizona too much leverage. Arizona knows that the Yanks are desperate for the Unit and are trying to take advantage. When you are looking to buy a car, you don't walk into the dealership and announce that you love their car and have to have it. That's just idiotic but no different than what the Yanks have done with Randy. :-t

I think think the Unit will be traded. He's a keeper on my team so, for fantasy points, I've been hoping he'll go to St. Louis. I've been salivating at the prospect of that team, with their hitting and defense, behind Randy's dominant pitching. WOW! Can you say 25-game winner? ;-) If he goes to the Yanks, he'll also win a lot of games but I would expect his numbers would drop a little because of the DH rule in the AL.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:42 pm

The reason the D-Backs asked for another pitcher along with Vazquez is because they can't keep Vazquez (because of Jeff Moorad ... he'd just demand a trade at the end of the year). I think the D-Backs plan was to immediately trade him elsewhere.

The Yankees will IMO wind up with The Unit when the D-Backs realize the Cards don't have enough money, the Bosox can't put an attractive enough offer together, and RJ refuses to go to the White Sox. Then the price will come down. :-t
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:45 pm

TheAbreu wrote:Pure disgraceful behavior coming out of Arizona. I'm sorry, but Arizona has been disgraceful the past few off-seasons. Starting with Colangelo being a whiner over the Wells situation to Arizona asking for a boatload from the Yankees for Schilling to turn around and trade him to Boston for a bunch of used condoms to doing everything possible not to trade Randy Johnson, I am sick to my stomach over Arizona's antics.

Take Vazquez with money deferred from his contract, take Duncan(1st round pick last year), take Halsey, and take Gordon. Give us Randy Johnson and go lose your 100 games

So disgraceful behavior is trying to right a wrong? They got the short end of the stick--in hindsight, as there were some good people in that trade that then got injured--in the Schilling deal, so they want to be real careful.

The Yankees have made it clear they want RJ. To think the D-backs are going to not ask for more than they want so it gets negotiated down is a tad naive.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers