How do you judge this statement? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you judge this statement?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What does this say about Reyes?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:39 pm

positive- get ready for the Reyes era in 05'!
46%
negative- this can only be a bad omen from rotoworld to report no news on his hamstrings
11%
neutral- it's not that big a deal, winter ball wont have an effect on him 05'
43%

Total votes : 28

How do you judge this statement?

Postby perlick29 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:39 pm

Amazinz and I differ substantially on thoughts of one Jose Reyes. While we think he may eventually be a star, I feel he's making poor decisions, especially playing winter ball this year, it wont give his hamstrings any healing time in the offseason. Amazinz thinks he needs a chance to test his new workout program with his new trainer.

Then I found this statement today on Rotoworld, which can be looked at postively or negatively or even neutrally:

Jose Reyes had three more hits yesterday and is now batting .362 in the Dominican Winter League.
Reyes also has five extra-base hits, five walks and no torn hamstrings in 52 at-bats.

Personally, if they have to continue to do Reyes hamstring notes, even in a joking fashion, there may be some undertones that he shouldn't be participating in winter ball. So how do you feel about his recent play?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:48 pm

i think it is a good sign that he went 52 abs without a torn hamstring...now hopefully he can go 600 abs next year without one :-o :-o :-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:48 pm

I dont mind him playing winter ball at all. The guy has only played 122 games the past 2 seasons and only 18 games since after July this season. I think it will help him more than it will hurt.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:09 pm

Rotoworld and other sites will continue to do hamstring jokes about the Dominican Torpedo Boat (possibly the dumbest nickname I've ever heard - I love it :-D) until they stop occurring.

If Shilstone OKed it and the Mets are OK with it, I'm OK it. I don't think Reyes needs to heal as much as he needs to get conditioned properly. Hopefully Shilstone lives up to his reputation.

I would be more worried if the Mets were treating Reyes like a piece of porcelain. If we (Mets fans and Reyes owners) have to flinch every time he slides into second it will be a long season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:26 pm

I think it's good for him, he needs to play a little more baseball to get ready for ST next year. He should play enough to get back into the swing of things but don't push it too much. I think he'll play around 130 games next year :-o ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Viper8437 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:39 pm

exactly
if hes going to get hurt again hes going to get hurt again
its better he takes his chances now
if he doesnt play now, he will have little experience
and even if he gets hurt now, he will have some time to heal and they will know that whey have to change something in his runnign style again
would u rather have him get hurt a few weeks into the season?
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:40 pm

I dont wish him to get hurt because I have him in a few keeper leagues. I am glad he is playing winter ball so I can see if I need to draft a replacement.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Viper8437 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:55 pm

i dont think anyone wants him to get hurt
imagine his potential if he doesnt
8-o
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:04 pm

I don't think jokes are any more revealing than the recurring "Moises Alou has hands of steel" type jokes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Return to Baseball Leftovers