Some Cards rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Some Cards rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Some Cards rumors

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:23 am

Foxsports.com news and notes has the Cards offering Marquis and Barton for RJ. Also they have speculated that the Cards will soon offer Edgar a 4 year $32 million deal. Morris had arthroscopic shoulder surgery and the rumor is that STL won't offer him arbitration but they are interested in bringing him back on a 1 year deal.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 pm

I'm sure you're all dying to hear my take, so here goes.

I wouldn't mind giving up Marquis and Barton for RJ. I think Marquis is a little overrated (another product of Mazzone's coaching IMO). I doubt they'll go for it, but that would be a great deal I think......As for Renteria, only $8 million per? That seems to be a lot less than the market would indicate he's worth, maybe I'm overvaluing him a bit. :-? ...... :-° Morris coming back after last year and on top of that shoulder sugery? Did it give any kind of ballpark on the $$$ amount? :-o :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:25 am

No amount was given but it was hinted that if he did come back it would only be a one year deal and it would be much less than his 2004 salary.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:54 am

that morris deal would also be heavily weighted on incentives. i would be all for that actually. at worst he would be a good fifth starter, at best he could be our top pitcher. good gamble in my opinion.

8 million is probably below market value for edgar but i would still have a hard time giving him much more than that. edgar is better than cabrera but given the choice of cabrera for 6 mil or edgar for 10 i would take cabrera and use the difference to sign polanco.

i probably would have traded barton and marquis for unit. from the sounds of it AZ would have wanted more than that and i wouldnt give up a whole lot more than that (aside from throwing in gall and guys like that). walt can probably find an improvement without giving up barton or anthony reyes and that is probably the best thing to do even if it means we dont get unit or hudson.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:49 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:that morris deal would also be heavily weighted on incentives. i would be all for that actually. at worst he would be a good fifth starter, at best he could be our top pitcher. good gamble in my opinion.

8 million is probably below market value for edgar but i would still have a hard time giving him much more than that. edgar is better than cabrera but given the choice of cabrera for 6 mil or edgar for 10 i would take cabrera and use the difference to sign polanco.

i probably would have traded barton and marquis for unit. from the sounds of it AZ would have wanted more than that and i wouldnt give up a whole lot more than that (aside from throwing in gall and guys like that). walt can probably find an improvement without giving up barton or anthony reyes and that is probably the best thing to do even if it means we dont get unit or hudson.

I agree with everything he said - ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:09 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:that morris deal would also be heavily weighted on incentives. i would be all for that actually. at worst he would be a good fifth starter, at best he could be our top pitcher. good gamble in my opinion.

If it's largely incentive based I couldn't see him coming back to STL then. It seems that if he could get a guaranteed deal somewhere else, even if it's for a little less money, it would be money in the bank.

I haven't really followed the Cabrera situation, but I can't believe he's only commanding $6 million. :-? If he can be had for that much and Renteria gets bumped up to the $10-$12 million range, I say definitely take Cabrera and use the other $4-$6 million on SP.

Agreed 100% on that one. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:39 pm

the morris stuff is straight out of the horse's mouth. he said he is looking for a one year incentive based deal and he wants to stay with the cards if possible. thats just the way matt is.

i really have no idea what cabrera is asking for. most people speculated about 6 million but that was before vizquel and guzman signed their deals. the one thing working in the cards favor is that boston has seemingly pulled out of the running for a big name shortstop. maybe it is just a negotiation ploy but they have said they dont want to sign a short stop to a long term deal because they think their ss prospect will be ready in 2006. that would essentially eliminate them from consideration for cabrera and edgar because they are seeking multiyear deals. that basically just leaves two teams (the cubs and cards) as the primary suitors for three high profile short stops (nomar, edgar, and cabrera). for sure other teams will be interested but right now there are basically just two teams who have publicly stated they are in the market for a high profile shortstop.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:32 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:the morris stuff is straight out of the horse's mouth. he said he is looking for a one year incentive based deal and he wants to stay with the cards if possible. thats just the way matt is.

i really have no idea what cabrera is asking for. most people speculated about 6 million but that was before vizquel and guzman signed their deals. the one thing working in the cards favor is that boston has seemingly pulled out of the running for a big name shortstop. maybe it is just a negotiation ploy but they have said they dont want to sign a short stop to a long term deal because they think their ss prospect will be ready in 2006. that would essentially eliminate them from consideration for cabrera and edgar because they are seeking multiyear deals. that basically just leaves two teams (the cubs and cards) as the primary suitors for three high profile short stops (nomar, edgar, and cabrera). for sure other teams will be interested but right now there are basically just two teams who have publicly stated they are in the market for a high profile shortstop.

OK, I hadn't heard that about Morris. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially given his performance this year, but I guess if that's what he wants. :-?

If feel even more strongly now that the Cards will sign Renteria long term than I ever have. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling. :-)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals