lucky pull - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

lucky pull

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

lucky pull

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:13 am

Every once in a while, you get lucky. Picked up four packs of 2003 Leaf a while back, and found two bat cards #d to 400: Torii Hunter and Reggie Jackson. Hey, made my day! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:59 am

Always nice to pull a good insert or two :-) !

Congrats on the pulls! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:30 pm

I didn't know you still collect 8-o
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:03 am

eftda wrote:I didn't know you still collect 8-o

Who, me? Sure. There are certainly things I don't like about the way cards have developed (pack prices, inserts individually numbered to 0.003, etc.), but both picking up something new and looking through old cards is still fun, and I don't expect that to change. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:58 pm

Arlo wrote:
eftda wrote:I didn't know you still collect 8-o

Who, me? Sure. There are certainly things I don't like about the way cards have developed (pack prices, inserts individually numbered to 0.003, etc.), but both picking up something new and looking through old cards is still fun, and I don't expect that to change. :-)

I love opening new boxes of cards :-) . I don't want to see the damage at the register though. :-o Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:51 pm

Madison wrote:I love opening new boxes of cards :-) . I don't want to see the damage at the register though. :-o Lol. :-D

Yep, that does put a bit of a damper on it... :~(
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:58 pm

there's no worst feeling than dropping $50 on an assortment of packs and getting nothing. So I usually buy singles from eBay, but I will still put down a 50 at my local shop once a month if the bills are paid.

I don't have good luck with baseball. But football, somehow I get Roethlisbergers in every pack.

I put a retail box of Topps Draft Picks and Prospects Football on my Visa from Target. I open it at home, I get a Chris Perry Class Marks auto ($50 at the time) and a Roethlisberger Gold Chrome ($50 as well). This is before the season, and I have the nerve to compain that all I get is Roethlisberger, why can't I pull any Manning's? Well the Big Ben is now worth $100, and while I want to see the Pats win it all again, if the Steelers do, I know the Ben will go even higher. So it would give me slight consolation.

My best baseball pull, when these first came out, I bought 3 packs @ once of 2003 Bowman Draft with one Chrome per pack. My Chrome pulls were a Kotchman, a Francouer, and an Upton.

One more story, I swear. ..
My friends and I play Hold Em for our cards. Usually match up a few $5 and $10 cards with a $20 thrown in. Nothing life altering. We decided to put in one nasty card each for this pot. They were an 85 McGwire, an 89 UD Griffey, a PSA 8 87 Fleer Bonds, and aVG/Exc Patrick Roy rookie. I had to take a picture of that. I won those. I cut the picture, put it in a top loader, and put it in my box. Whenever we get together, I take it out an say "Check this one out!" They fall for it every time...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:44 am

That's quite a pot! 8-o
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:22 pm

Playing Hold 'Em for baseball cards? Hmmm.........Not a bad idea at all. ;-D

As to the drop $50 on an assortment of packs, I completely agree. Way, way back, I'd buy a few packs of one, a few packs of another, a few packs of yet another, but for the last 7 or 8 years I've stuck to just buying sealed boxes. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:03 am

I can't believe people still buy packs!

Ever since I discovered Ebay in about 1998 I stopped buying packs. On Ebay you can get cards you could never find before and old rare inserts for SUPER CHEAP.

The problem with the market is that the only thing that's worth anything is NEW stuff. So once it's not "in" any longer, it devalues. Check out how much you can get classic cards now - the card collecting boon of the early 90's is wayyyy over.

Oh man, I feel a rant coming on so I better leave...
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Next

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia