Big Unit rumored to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Unit rumored to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 pm

It's a rumor, and I don't think it's going to happen. Seems Theo is playing games, just like Pedro did with Georgie.

And, I'd argue that Arroyo and Lester plus a prospect is better than Vaz plus a prospect.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:44 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:ESPN insider has an article about the Sox trying to get RJ but I'm not going to pay to read it. I heard before that RJ didn't want to play in Boston and he has a no trade clause.

I do have Insider and, as others have said, it is just a rumor. It cites the Providence article.

I personally think it's a bluff to the Pedro camp based on the Mets offer (i.e. "we're prepared to move on", etc.) such that if they guarantee the third year, that's all they'll do (no 4th year). I just can't see a deal happening for that. As for the no-trade, I think RJ would waive it to pitch with Schilling again (unless they hate each other, which I don't think).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby flbtank » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:20 pm

Not sure how credible this is but http://www.bostondirtdogs is reporting that Randy to the Yanks is done....
flbtank
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:23 pm

flbtank wrote:Not sure how credible this is but http://www.bostondirtdogs is reporting that Randy to the Yanks is done....

ESPN news is reporting the same thing. Saying it will be announced early next week.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:35 pm

flbtank wrote:Not sure how credible this is but http://www.bostondirtdogs is reporting that Randy to the Yanks is done....

Dirtdogs quotes a "source" as saying it's Johnson to the Yanks for: Javier Vazquez, third-base prospect Eric Duncan, $4M per year, plus a "yet-to-be-determined part, either a new pitcher the Yankees acquire or, less likely, set-up man Tom Gordon"

They also say Randy to Boston will not happen because, according to the same source, "they (Arizona) don't want Arroyo."

It seems to me that for that past 9-10 months, Unit's wanted to go to NYY. I am guessing the Yanks will have to extend his contract if he is to approve the deal, so they'll end up committed to him for 3-4 years. It will be interesting to see how he performs there. I'm guessing he pitches really well.

I just wonder if the Yankees might be bailing on Vazquez too soon. He was pretty dominating in Montreal before last season... but he just imploded this past Sept. and especially in this post-season. :-b Oops... did I just smile there...? Bad Pacman... ;-7

If Vaz was to turn it around, he'll certainly be around a lot longer than Unit, who I see only pitching another couple of years.

Again, looks like a deal that could pay huge dividends for the Yankees, or could come back to haunt them if Unit struggles with more injuries, and if Vazquez returns to form.

We shall see.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:50 pm

I think the Yankees are bailing on Vazquez too soon. I think he's going to be pretty special. But they are getting Randy and you can't exactly fault them for that.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:24 pm

Dec. 1 - A source in the Arizona organization tells ESPN's Peter Gammons the Red Sox don't have the starting pitcher the Diamondbacks want, and neither do the Cardinals, leaving the Yankees as the only legitimate suitor for the Big Unit. The same source says Johnson will be traded to New York sometime next week.

Arizona either wants the Yankees to go outside their organization to acquire another starting pitcher to include in the deal or agree to send Tom Gordon along with Javier Vazquez, 3B prospect Eric Duncan and approximately $4 million a year of Vazquez's contract.

Earlier Wednesday, the Providence Journal reported the Red Sox were in discussions with the Diamondbacks about possibly trading right-hander Bronson Arroyo, pitching prospect Jon Lester and at least one other top prospect. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently indicated the Cardinals also were still trying to land Johnson, but GM Walt Jocketty won't package Danny Haren, Rick Ankiel and Kiko Calero to get it done.

Johnson, who wants to play for a contender, is due $16 million next year and likely would demand an extension past 2005 in order to waive his no-trade clause. If the Diamondbacks can't trade or choose not to trade Johnson, he will honor the final year of his contract.

ESPN Rumor Central
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:30 pm

I'm guessing Vazy has better years in NY if he remains there. He just has too nasty of stuff to not be equal to what he was in Montreal!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby rlee » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:52 pm

One of the problems with the Yankees Vazquez for RJ is that Vazquez is in the middle of a multi-year contract and can demand a trade at the end of the season. :-/ Since he has fired Jeff Moorad as his agent, I can't see him sticking around. And you would have to wonder how his head would be for that one year :-?

On the other hand, Garagiola, has to make a good deal for The Unit after the deal for Schilling absolutely backfired 8-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheAbreu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:11 pm

God, it would make me sick to my stomach if Boston obtained Randy Johnson. I've been fuming and demanding an investigation over Arizona demanding Soriano and Nick Johnson from the Yankees for Schilling last year and then trading Schilling to Boston for a bunch of used condoms. Arizona has done enough damage to the Yankees. Winning the World Series in 01, helping Boston win the World Series in 04, and trying to rape the Yankees of anything imaginable for Randy Johnson. I know it's stupid to say Arizona owes the Yankees, but they really do. That Curt Schilling trade was a disgrace last year and everyone objectively knew that.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers