injury update---- sexson,maggs ect.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

injury update---- sexson,maggs ect..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

injury update---- sexson,maggs ect..

Postby tiger spit » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:29 am

any idea what is the story on sexson or maggs?
big injuries knocked them out this season...

in keeper leagues are they a worry now..

i havnt heard news of maggs but sexson is heavily talking to teams in free agency so he must be ok...

homers?? :*)
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

injuries

Postby baseballrich » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:36 am

Magglio - So far it seems that Mags has stated that he WILL NOT take a physical for a team during negotiations...hmmm...doesn't sound quite right. Also besides the injury dont forget about the blood issue - because of these problems only the Mets and Orioles have shown interest so far.

Sexson - He seems a little more open to testing but a shoulder injury is a maor concern for a guy who swings like him
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:33 am

Maggs is refusing to take a physical? Ha! I wanna go to Harvard... but I refuse to give them my transcript! Good luck getting a decent contract. This guy went from arguably a first rounder to an average power hitting OF within a couple years.

I did some looking around and he isn't taking a physical before December 3rd so the CWS don't offer arbitration... he had a second knee operation a couple months ago because he had two tears in his knee meniscus, not one like they originally thought. And he's still not 100% according to him. I imagine once the arbitration period ends he'll give his potential suitors their wish of giving him a physical. If not I can't imagine he gets more than a 2 year deal.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:57 am

Sporting News was saying that taking a 1-year with the Royals is a possibility if he can't get a good multi-year. Yikes.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 pm

Maggs is not refusing to take a physical. He is doing an open physical for all interested teams at the start of the winter meetings, Dec 10.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:33 pm

i have heard varying reports on maggs. some say he wont take a physical. some say he will only share medical files after serious negotiations have already taken place. some say he will stage a workout sometime in january to demonstrate the health of his knee.

i think big sexy will probably be fine. maggs should also be ok but i would really read up on how he is doing in ST before drafting him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:30 pm

Don't know about Maggs, but Sexson is supposed to be ready. That said, I've read that, like Nevin, he'll always be more susceptible to his shoulder popping out. Makes him more of a risk, which is why I think there's the bone of contention between Sexson and the D-Backs - who allegedly want PT clauses rather than fully guaranteed contract.

BTW, not in the question, but the re-injury risk is also there for J.J. Hardy, for those who might be in deeper leagues.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:06 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:BTW, not in the question, but the re-injury risk is also there for J.J. Hardy, for those who might be in deeper leagues.

Speaking from experience, I would stay away from Hardy completely. I have the same condition he does, although I've never dislocated my shoulder to the point that I tore my labrum. The docs say that I'm heading that way slowly but surely, though.

Anyways, I bring it up because I can confidently say that his shoulder problem is chronic. There is no getting over it, even with surgery. It has to do with a condition that causes the muscles on the back of his shoulder and under the shoulder blade to not develop properly. When you extend your arm (as in, a swing), your shoulder feels like there's nothing holding it together. Your bone feels like it's just floating around in there.

I play tennis, and in my particular case, it's destroyed my ability to serve effectively. I used to have a 100-mph serve. Now I'm lucky to get it into the upper-80's. In addition, I cannot generate any spin whatsoever without subluxing the bone again.

I had Hardy on a minor league roster in a deep league last year. I dropped him as soon as I found out about his condition. No hesitation. I wholly recommend giving him the black mark of death.

Of course, there is the matter of what is in my sig. I could be completely wrong. After all, he probably has access to much better doctors than me.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Baseball Leftovers