Sheffield has surgery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield has surgery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield has surgery

Postby San D » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:59 pm

Does anyone know how this will impact him? Is it easy surgery to come back from....even for a 36 year old?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:34 pm

He's expected to be ready by spring training. He is 36 but he stays in great shape. Considering how well he played while injured I don't doubt he'll have a great season next year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:42 pm

I think he'll be fine by spring training. He's got those speedy hands and I don't think this surgery will affect those very much.

But now when does he have the surgery scheduled to take that stick from out of his butt? That seems to be the more pressing issue.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:12 pm

as well as he keeps his self in shape i see no reason why he should not be ready by ST
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:44 pm

What exactly is his injury? They were calling it bursitis, but that isn't something they operate for, I don't think.

Depending on his procedure, he will probably not have full range of motion for 4 months, strength for sixth.

I had a shoulder surgery in July and discussed Troy Glaus' quick recovery (4 months) with my doc a lot. He said the internal wounds won't fully heal for 6 months, no matter how good a shape you are in, which is when the joint can get back to full strength. I was able to swing a bat at 4 months, so I bet Shef will hit OK, just not full strength in March/April. I am not even allowed to start the throwing rehab until 6 months, though.

(My goal is only to pitch little league batting practice for my kids and play softball.)
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:36 am

He played most of the past season without being able to raise his left arm. The expected rehab time is only 4-5 weeks. He will be ready to go at the start of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=1930230
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby rlee » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:08 pm

From what I read in the NY Times, this was not considered to be major surgery. :-o They said that Sheffield had the shoulder sac (is this the right term?) cleaned out. Dr. Andrews said he should be ready for Spring Training. ;-)

Look for another solid season from him. He is a physical freak :-]
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:09 pm

This is what I was looking for. If nothing is torn, they would be removing spurs, scar tissue, and possibly the bursa sac. As long as they didn't find anything else with the scope, that is something he can come back from quickly, I'd think. I still say power could be down early. They 'tunnel' in with the scope and that takes time to heal up right. Andrews does magic, though.

Shef is my best keeper, so I hope this works out.

rlee wrote:From what I read in the NY Times, this was not considered to be major surgery. :-o They said that Sheffield had the shoulder sac (is this the right term?) cleaned out. Dr. Andrews said he should be ready for Spring Training. ;-)

Look for another solid season from him. He is a physical freak :-]
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:28 pm

He should be fine...a shoulder in my opinion doesn't take as long as say a knee..im not too worried..GO yankees
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:36 pm

Amazinz wrote:He's expected to be ready by spring training. He is 36 but he stays in great shape. Considering how well he played while injured I don't doubt he'll have a great season next year.

That's what I was thinking. There were reportedly times last year when he couldn't lift his arm above his head, but he still put up some awesome numbers, so it's almost scary to think what he could have done if healthy. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers