Giants sign Benitez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants sign Benitez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:28 pm

Great move for the Giants ;-D ;-D Think of all those games that they lost last year cause of Herges :-P and Hermanson :-P
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:16 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:Great move for the Giants ;-D ;-D Think of all those games that they lost last year cause of Herges :-P and Hermanson :-P

Herges was terrible, but I think he will be much better as a middle reliever. He has proven that he can do that job with the Dodgers and the Giants the year before last. Hermanson was an excellent closer for about a month, and was doing well as a starter before that, but then sucked it up and blew several crucial save opps. I think he will be much better as a middle reliever or setup man.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:45 pm

Congratulations to the Giants. You guys finally have a solid closer on your hands, unless there is any pressure in the game. In that case, give Herges the call.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LCBOY » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:51 pm

OK, this is a good move for Giants. What now? Finley or Dye? Finley is the better player but he's ancient (40). Dye is just plain mediocre but much younger (30). A tough call for the Giants.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:55 pm

LCBOY wrote:OK, this is a good move for Giants. What now? Finley or Dye? Finley is the better player but he's ancient (40). Dye is just plain mediocre but much younger (30). A tough call for the Giants.

When healthy Dye is much better than mediocre. But he is in the Griffey Jr territory when it comes to saying "if healthy". If I were the Giants I would simply go for the lowest cost option between the two since really they don't need either one.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby LCBOY » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 pm

Tavish wrote:
LCBOY wrote:OK, this is a good move for Giants. What now? Finley or Dye? Finley is the better player but he's ancient (40). Dye is just plain mediocre but much younger (30). A tough call for the Giants.

When healthy Dye is much better than mediocre. But he is in the Griffey Jr territory when it comes to saying "if healthy". If I were the Giants I would simply go for the lowest cost option between the two since really they don't need either one.

He's extemely streaky. I picked him up in mid April at the start of his hot streak. It lasted about a month. After that he was terrible before he hurt his finger. If he can stay healthy and play to the upper level of his play he can be productive.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sisyphus » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:05 am

Of the two, I like Dye. He is a natural right-fielder, that I think is still perceived as a defensive threat. He gives a right handed power threat behind Bonds and is at home in the Bay Area. I think fans will have a more realistic expectations of his performance, and unlike Finley never played for the Dodgers. :-)
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantFan666 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:Great move for the Giants ;-D ;-D Think of all those games that they lost last year cause of Herges :-P and Hermanson :-P

Herges was terrible, but I think he will be much better as a middle reliever. He has proven that he can do that job with the Dodgers and the Giants the year before last. Hermanson was an excellent closer for about a month, and was doing well as a starter before that, but then sucked it up and blew several crucial save opps. I think he will be much better as a middle reliever or setup man.

I think for once, the Giants have picked up the players they need!
Herges performed decently during the tail end of the season after they moved him out of the closer role, they improved their defense
with vizquel (their defense probably cost them almost as much as not having a closer) I'd like to see them add one more starter... they have a great crop of young pitchers but they still are probably a year away... and if they add a bat, go for the big guns, none of this steve finley nonsense... Barry will be done after the 06' season
and they proved they could score runs last season without protection for Barry behind him
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:09 am

They need to figure out how to get Rueters 6 million off this years cap, and use that money on a hitter. I don't know how, but they need to have a better pitcher then Rueter for 6 MIL a season...
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers