San Fran set to sign Benitez... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

San Fran set to sign Benitez...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

San Fran set to sign Benitez...

Postby chinch sacs » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:33 am

From Rotoworld:

Armando Benitez - R - FLA

The Giants are set to sign Armando Benitez to a three-year, $21 million contract.
Maybe $21 million is a little excessive, but this is a better signing than Troy Percival or the other potential closers would have been. Since the Giants have to stay around $80 million, Benitez's addition could make it more likely that A.J. Pierzynski will be traded. Nov. 30 - 2:07 am et
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:44 am

Hmm, seems like a lot. But he's better than Percy who got $6M a year so I guess it's not bad. Are they going ot have enough to get another hitter to protect Bonds? Or is he gonna have another 230 walk season?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:10 am

I guess that means Mota is the man in Fla.. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:41 am

Boy did he increase his value, heh? He was unwanted--traded from Shea to the Stadium, to the M's... then signs with Florida. Now a huge pay day. Good for him.

However, it seems SF is throwing a lot of money around, and none of it is where it should be--protection for Barry, in my humble opinion.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:32 am

Hermanson sits on SF's offer, so they go after Benitez. Nice move Dustin. ;-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:44 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Hermanson sits on SF's offer, so they go after Benitez. Nice move Dustin. ;-)

i bet hermanson is kicking himself....but it looks to be safe now with mota closing in FL..... i am just glad i have mota in a few leagues ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:48 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:However, it seems SF is throwing a lot of money around, and none of it is where it should be--protection for Barry, in my humble opinion.

While I think protection for Bonds would help, they needed more depth in the pen as well IMO. Now they can use Hemanson as the SU and Benitez as the closer right? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:54 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Boy did he increase his value, heh? He was unwanted--traded from Shea to the Stadium, to the M's... then signs with Florida. Now a huge pay day. Good for him.

However, it seems SF is throwing a lot of money around, and none of it is where it should be--protection for Barry, in my humble opinion.

The pen and defense up the middle were the two highest priorities, and they addressed them both very well.

It looks as though they're turing their attention to the OF now, with Finley and Dye on their radar screen. Also, don't rule out a trade. That will probably be the only "big bat" that they'll bring in.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:30 pm

Although $7 million per is a lot of money to through around, Benitez has proven that he has the skills to be a great closer in this league. The only question is if he will perform like he did last year or like he has in the big cities.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:36 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:However, it seems SF is throwing a lot of money around, and none of it is where it should be--protection for Barry, in my humble opinion.
I have to disagree. SF was #2 in the NL in runs scored last year, only 5 behind the Cardinals. Their bullpen was by far their biggest hole IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers