Torii Hunter vs. Griffey Jr. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Torii Hunter vs. Griffey Jr.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Torii Hunter vs. Griffey Jr.

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41 am

Who would be the better start as a CF in a fairly deep league? Griffey is a huge injury risk, Hunter a slight injury risk. Griffey the potential for 40 home runs and 120 RBIs, Hunter the potential for 20/20 or better. Who's the better pick?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:53 am

i'd say hunter cause griffey jr always seems to get hurt...
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:10 am

It really would depend on my team. If I was stacked enough where I could afford to take a chance, then Griffey would be my guy. If I needed steady average numbers, then I would go with Hunter. I'm a gambling man and all things equal, I'd go with Griffey. Hunter's numbers are extremely pedestrian and are easily replaced via the WW. If not for the SB, he would be droppable. And it's not like he gets a ton of them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:28 am

Since it's a deep league though I would let somone else take the risk on Junior. Hunter will play 145ish games, Griffey who knows. Just from an injury stand point I'd take Hunter and let someone else worry about keeping multiple CF's when Griffey goes down in June. But then again I'm not a risk taker like Lo. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby tlef316 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:05 am

in a deep league, i take hunter unless you feel you're team is not a contender as it is. if that is the case, its better to take the risk on Jr.

like someone else said, all things being equal, you take hunter. Griffey seems cursed.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:47 am

tlef316 wrote:in a deep league, i take hunter unless you feel you're team is not a contender as it is. if that is the case, its better to take the risk on Jr.

my thoughts exactly as well.....if u think your team can win go with steady hunter...if u think your team is kinda of hurting go with Jr. and hope he plays 150 games
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:49 am

Give me Hunter. Even if Griffey miraculously plays a full season we are talking 35 HR, 100 runs, 115 RBI, less than 5 SB and a .260 BA.
I'd put Hunter down for 25 HR, 85 runs, 100 RBI, 20 SB and a .270 BA. Grif should be better if he is healthy but how often is he healthy? I just don't see the risk being worth the reward.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:59 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Give me Hunter. Even if Griffey miraculously plays a full season we are talking 35 HR, 100 runs, 115 RBI, less than 5 SB and a .260 BA.
I'd put Hunter down for 25 HR, 85 runs, 100 RBI, 20 SB and a .270 BA. Grif should be better if he is healthy but how often is he healthy? I just don't see the risk being worth the reward.

I agree there is no reason to take a chance on Griffey.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:45 pm

Looks like I'm in the minority here. Let me expand.......Hunter will not be a difference maker and will not make or break your team. Even if healthy, that is the case. Griffey can. He will probably get hurt and disappoint once again but he can make a difference. The fact remains that owners of both will probably be looking for help on the WW but I would rather take the chance on Griffey. There is always an OF on the WW that can replace the stats of a healthy Hunter or a hurt Griffey.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:09 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Give me Hunter. Even if Griffey miraculously plays a full season we are talking 35 HR, 100 runs, 115 RBI, less than 5 SB and a .260 BA.

IF Griffey plays a whole season, I would expect more power than that. I would expect at least 40 to be honest....but his average would probably be a little lower than .260.

With my Griffey bias, I'd take Griffey over Hunter. However, if I were just a normal fantasy player, I'd probably play it safe and take Hunter. At least with him you know what you are getting.

I guess it comes down to how the rest of your OF looks...if they are a consistently healthy group of above average OFers, then you can afford to take a gamble on Griffey (and bench him if he's slumping or hurt). If you have a bunch of washed-up veterans like Sosa and Floyd, go with Hunter for the reliable production.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers