hooray - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

hooray

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:52 pm

Amazinz wrote:There were a couple of teams who made it into the post season last year with a worse rotation.

But they either had great offenses (STL) or were in a weak division (MIN -- Santana does not a great rotation make IMO).
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:56 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Amazinz wrote:There were a couple of teams who made it into the post season last year with a worse rotation.

But they either had great offenses (STL) or were in a weak division (MIN -- Santana does not a great rotation make IMO).

OK. Well look what happened to the Cardinals when they ran into another great offense.

The Mets are in a weak division. Going into next season Atlanta has to be the early favorite just because they've proved they can do it but would it really surprise anyone if any team came out of that division? Hell, Washington could win that division and it wouldn't be half as surprising as TB winning the AL East.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:

OK. Well look what happened to the Cardinals when they ran into another great offense.

The Mets are in a weak division. Going into next season Atlanta has to be the early favorite just because they've proved they can do it but would it really surprise anyone if any team came out of that division? Hell, Washington could win that division and it wouldn't be half as surprising as TB winning the AL East.

I dont know Amazinz, It's your duty to stand up and fight for the honor that is the Mets, but let's face it, you can't pin your hopes on the like of Glavine and Trachsel, both whom are now a year older for it seems like the 5th go around that that phrase has been said. Zambrano still has control issues with an injury tacked on at the end of the year. Pedro would be solid, and Benson hasn't proved yet he's any better than a third starter. The offence will eventually be scary with all their youngins getting more experience. But getting Pedro is a mistake because he's a waste of money on that team. They should have been heading the direction they were last year which was building up that farm system. Then they went and threw 3 good prospects (1 being Kazmir a potential ace), "down the toilet." Sorry but the Mets will be a poor to average team this year.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:08 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't think Martinez would be a quick fix to the Mets problems. But with Leiter leaving the Mets need a 5th starter; you could do worse than Pedro. How would you suggest they fix it?
Build with the youth. The Mets have some really great young players. Why tie up that kind of money in a 33 year old declining pitcher?

Amazinz wrote:You're right that rotation isn't that great. But I think it could be good enough to make a playoff run especially playing half thier games in Shea.

There were a couple of teams who made it into the post season last year with a worse rotation
And some who stayed home in October with a better rotation. (Chicago Cubs and Oakland)

Mets NL Rank
Runs Scored - 12th
ERA - 7th
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:18 pm

Santana and Radke did make a great rotation last year. You can talk about a weak division all you want but the Twins were #2 in starter's WHIP behind Boston in the AL, #1 in starter's ERA in the AL and #1 in all of MLB in starter's K/BB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:24 pm

The Mets team ERA is deceiving. It was #1 in the league in the first half and far, far below that in the second half.

The Mets have built with the youth. Barring injury Reyes will man SS, Wright at 3B and Victor Diaz at either LF or RF.

No one else in thier system is ready. Brazell is not ready to man 1B and may never be. Sexson appears to be the Mets favorite to fill the position but possibly Glaus who said he'd move to 1B to play in NY.

Reyes, Matsui, Wright, Piazza, Sexson, Floyd, Cameron, Diaz

Martinez, Glavine, Trax, Benson, Zambrano

That is a team that can win the NL East and once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

As far as tying up money in an old pitcher: Do you realize that if the Mets were to sign Pedro tommorow their payroll for 2005 with no additional moves would be $87M dollars? The Mets are rich team in very good financial shape and I don't think $12M+ a year is a bad move for a pitcher who would flourish in the NL and Shea stadium specifically.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Personally I'd rather have Pavano over Pedro. So, as a Mets fan, I don't really want Pedro, but I'll take him if we can't get Pavano.

The rotaion isn't half bad. I worry more about the bullpen. Loop's alright, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.

Mets are trying to move Piazza and Floyd. We'll see how the team pans out if and when these moves are made.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Viper8437 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:09 pm

front cover of newsday
so i guess it wasnt a lie

but anyway
i think anyone would agree with having pavno over pedro

but Amazinz has proved some good points

i mean having
wright reyes, kaz, and maybe sexson or glaus is a pretty good linfield
their outfield causes the most problems

but if they can get victor in right of left and maybe sign magglio
they havie a prety good team

Reyes
Kaz
Wright
Magglio
Piazza
Sexson
victor
cameron

Rotation
Pedro/pavano or someone else
glavine
benson
zambrano
trachsel

Not a bad team
if half their team doesnt get injured again they have a pretty good chance of comepting

i know signing all those three players will be really hard
so im not expecting all of that to happen
but hey
mets fans have to dream
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:20 pm

You think that they're gonna raise their payroll that much?? 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby DK » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:29 pm

Aah, I wrote this long thing about how Pedro's not washed up and how good he will be if he signs with the Mets next year, but my Explorer shut down as I was finishing it. Image

It's just another conspiracy, I guess... ;-7

Take my word for it. Pedro will be good next year. I don't want to go through it all again. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers