hooray - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

hooray

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:53 am

8-o

$38M for 3 years, are you kidding?!?!?!?!

I thought he was offered $27M for 3 before....... seems like a huge jump if you ask me. I don't think Pedro is worth near that much, but hey if he returns to pre-2004 form it could be worth it. It just smells like the Mets buying a washed up superstar for way more than he's worth.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:35 am

38 million for three years!!!!

Ouch.

With the exception of Piazza isnt Shea where former superstars past their prime go to die now?

Sorry Met fans, I just had to throw that out there.
Pre - 2004 is unlikely but I dont think Pedro is done putting up top 10 SP numbers.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 am

Bukoski77 wrote:38 million for three years!!!!

Ouch.

With the exception of Piazza isnt Shea where former superstars past their prime go to die now?

Sorry Met fans, I just had to throw that out there.
Pre - 2004 is unlikely but I dont think Pedro is done putting up top 10 SP numbers.

LMAO .. :-D

Can I predict a Mets fans response ....

"We have a new GM now, things are going to be different." ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:18 am

I dont hate the Mets but I hope they dont sign any good players. I would hate that division to get any stronger then my Braves might not have a fighting chance

I don't think you have to wory about that. The Braves are the cockroach of baseball. They just won't go away ;-7
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:10 pm

Red Sox offered $37.5 million over three years, part of the contract is vesting (non-guaranteed).

The Mets offered $38 million for three years guaranteed plus a vesting option for a fourth.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:Red Sox offered $37.5 million over three years, part of the contract is vesting (non-guaranteed).

The Mets offered $38 million for three years guaranteed plus a vesting option for a fourth.
8-o I just don't get it. The Mets don't seem like they are close to competing to me. Why do they continue to throw money after declining players in hopes of a quick fix?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Red Sox offered $37.5 million over three years, part of the contract is vesting (non-guaranteed).

8-o I just don't get it. The Mets don't seem like they are close to competing to me. Why do they continue to throw money after declining players in hopes of a quick fix?

Well first off let me preface this by saying that I believe Pedro will inevitably end up back with Boston. It may start off a bidding war with the Yankees but that's about it.

The simplest answer to your question is because they can and why not. The Mets are not that far away from being a contender as you're suggesting.

Martinez - Glavine - Benson - Zambrano - Trax

How many teams would have a starting rotation that deep? None? A couple?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Well first off let me preface this by saying that I believe Pedro will inevitably end up back with Boston. It may start off a bidding war with the Yankees but that's about it.

The simplest answer to your question is because they can and why not. The Mets are not that far away from being a contender as you're suggesting.

Martinez - Glavine - Benson - Zambrano - Trax

How many teams would have a starting rotation that deep? None? A couple?

21 games away from being a contender last year. I repeat - there is no quick fix. Pittsburgh had a better record last year. And that rotation isn't that great.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:21 games away from being a contender last year. I repeat - there is no quick fix. Pittsburgh had a better record last year. And that rotation isn't that great.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:47 pm

I don't think Martinez would be a quick fix to the Mets problems. But with Leiter leaving the Mets need a 5th starter; you could do worse than Pedro. How would you suggest they fix it?

You're right that rotation isn't that great. But I think it could be good enough to make a playoff run especially playing half thier games in Shea.

There were a couple of teams who made it into the post season last year with a worse rotation.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers