Top 20 prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 20 prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:42 pm

This is off the top of my head...and I am not considering any players that do not qualify in BA's definition of a prospect. But to give you an idea, Upton would be either 1 or 2 if he was eligible...

1. Joe Mauer
2. Felix Hernandez
3. Delmon Young
4. Casey Kotchman
5. Rickie Weeks...too tempting...
6. Lastings Milledge
7. Jeff Francoeur
8. Scott Kazmir
9. Prince Fielder
10. Andy Marte
11. Joel Guzman
12. Ian Stewart
13. Dallas McPherson
14. Edwin Jackson
15. Chad Billingsley
16. Matt Cain
17. James Loney
18. Jeff Mathis
19. Jeremy Hermida
20. Conor Jackson
21. Gavin Floyd
22. Cole Hamels
23. Scott Olsen
24. Adam Miller
25. Hanley Ramirez

I'm higher on tools than most...
There are a few potentially great ones from the 2004 draft, like Tui, Nelson, Diamond, Bailey, and Rogers that I'm tempted to put near the list, but I think it's too early for a top-25.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Ryan Howard

Postby philleez » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:05 pm

No one mentioned Ryan Howard on any list. anytime you hit 48 homers in one full season of ball is worth mentioning. Phillies should have tried to move him or Thome during this off season. He is not just a slugger, hits for average as well.
"If the visiting team hits it, is it still called a home run?"
philleez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:21 pm

1. Daric Barton
2. Delmon Young
3. Casey Kotchman
4. Ian Stewart (assuming he stays in Colorado)
5. Lastings Milledge
6. Jason Kubel
7. Ian Kinsler
8. Scott Baker
9. Brian Dopriak
10. Prince Fielder

I'm stopping at 10, because I'm in a league with a bunch of people that frequent the cafe. I will say, however, that I think Felix Hernandez will not be the pitcher most here think he will be.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hawgvike » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:23 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I'm stopping at 10, because I'm in a league with a bunch of people that frequent the cafe. I will say, however, that I think Felix Hernandez will not be the pitcher most here think he will be.

this quote will be saved and brought back at a future date...
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mykie824 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:1. Daric Barton
2. Delmon Young
3. Casey Kotchman
5. Lastings Milledge
6. Jason Kubel
7. Ian Kinsler
8. Scott Baker
9. Brian Dopriak
10. Prince Fielder

I'm stopping at 10, because I'm in a league with a bunch of people that frequent the cafe. I will say, however, that I think Felix Hernandez will not be the pitcher most here think he will be.

LOL, Scott Baker at #8? Are you serious? This guy may not even be in most top 100's, and definitely doesn't project to be an ace.

What don't you like about an 18 year old with 3 plus-plus pitch, and one solid to plus pitch? You make an outrageous prediction and give absolutely no explanation.
mykie824
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:18 pm

mykie824 wrote:
2. Delmon Young
3. Casey Kotchman
5. Lastings Milledge
6. Jason Kubel
7. Ian Kinsler
8. Scott Baker
9. Brian Dopriak
10. Prince Fielder

LOL, Scott Baker at #8? Are you serious? This guy may not even be in most top 100's, and definitely doesn't project to be an ace.

What don't you like about an 18 year old with 3 plus-plus pitch, and one solid to plus pitch? You make an outrageous prediction and give absolutely no explanation.

Well, let's see. I don't like Hernandez's throwing motion, mostly. I think he will get injured before he becomes a major league ace. And I think that he'll turn into one of those guys that's always getting hurt. It's based on his motion.

As for Baker, what's not to like? He's got a fastball that - although it peaks in the mid-90's - keeps getting a little faster each year. He has exceptional control. In 70 innings in Double-A last year he walked 13 (and struck out 72). He's got a great slider, change, fastball and curve and he knows how to mix them up like a Greg Maddux. He's good, believe you me.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:38 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:He's good, believe you me.

This is off topic, but how did this phrase start? Does it have an origin in some other language where it originally made sense?

Anyway, I agree, he should be good. His AAA stats weren't anything special but his A and AA stats were awesome. I like seeing control in pitchers, and he has control.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VaTribeFan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
mykie824 wrote:
2. Delmon Young
3. Casey Kotchman
5. Lastings Milledge
6. Jason Kubel
7. Ian Kinsler
8. Scott Baker
9. Brian Dopriak
10. Prince Fielder

Well, let's see. I don't like Hernandez's throwing motion, mostly. I think he will get injured before he becomes a major league ace. And I think that he'll turn into one of those guys that's always getting hurt. It's based on his motion.

As for Baker, what's not to like? He's got a fastball that - although it peaks in the mid-90's - keeps getting a little faster each year. He has exceptional control. In 70 innings in Double-A last year he walked 13 (and struck out 72). He's got a great slider, change, fastball and curve and he knows how to mix them up like a Greg Maddux. He's good, believe you me.

Hear! Hear!

David Luciani over at baseballnotebook.com has Baker as his #1 prospect AL pitcher:

http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.a ... 20Pitchers

"1. SCOTT BAKER, MINNESOTA: The former Oklahoma State University pitcher is already blessed with exceptional control. Minnesota's second round pick in the 2003 draft, I know I've rated him higher than virtually every other publication, as I have sometimes done with other number one rated picks in previous years. He struggled after moving up to Triple-A Rochester in 2004, which actually helps him go a bit unnoticed, and he's probably going to start the season at that level but prior to that, he was eating up Double-A hitters, allowing just 44 hits in 70.1 innings while walking 13 and striking out 72, this all over 10 games started. Some other publications have said that he doesn't have "dominant" stuff and I suspect this is because his strikeout numbers have "only" been around one per inning, which is actually below your typical top so-called top prospect. In fact, Baker's velocity, which still isn't in his prime, has peaked in the mid to high nineties on occasion and what impresses me about him is how well he mixes up his pitches. He already has a big league slider and curve and he throws every pitch for strikes and changes speeds as well as any pitcher I've seen in the minors in the past couple of years. Definitely underrated, Baker's a rare sleeper that takes my number one prospect spot in the American League this year."
VaTribeFan
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball