a little something i wrote over at the football cafe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

a little something i wrote over at the football cafe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:52 am

portisfan24 wrote:
wrveres wrote:ooops almost forgot .. a little more "Fuel" ..

16 vs. 162 ;-7

why is more games harder exactly?

It removes the "luck" ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:02 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I play both, and while I do think FBB is tougher and a better game in general, I would like to stick up for FFB. The difference between the two fantasy games is monumental, and the only similarity between the two is that they both use real stats from real athletes to play their respective games - other than that we are comparing apples and oranges.

On one hand you have a statistical game with emphasis on a return to the mean mentality that is relatively accurate due to the nature of a 162 game season. FFB meanwhile is more situational based and has much more riding on one game, so the decisions being made are based on opponents and other short term situations much more than FBB. While FBB decisions do have an aspect of situational matchups, it isnt nearly as much of a factor as in FFB. Thats why there are so many start/sit questionson the FFB side - its simply the nature of the game - people are looking for any minor thing to help them make a good decision, while in FBB we have a small bench and typically our main starters are going to play regardless of matchups (especially hitters). Also, because injuries are much more prevalant in football, that also leads to more speculation on the performance of replacements - adding to the start/sit type questions.

Like I said, apples and oranges - both have their merits, but those who play both fantasy games know that they are two completely different animals that require two different sets of skills - one to learn the subtle nuances of a marathon roto type approach, and the other to make quick decisions and read the rapidly changing landscape of the NFL.

perlick29 wrote:I think Cornbread summed it up well there. But I will say this, the football cafe can be very hostile at times, where as I haven't seen the same anger come from this side when people are trying to ask legitimate questions.

agreed, or it gets "locked" ... :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:23 am

Yeah I think C-M did a good job explaining it..... it's 2 different games. There is much more luck involved in FFB than in FBB though. And there are more positions in FBB which makes it better IMO... and Roto is better than H2H. It's hard to have a roto football league.

FFB = minimal preparation and minimal maintenance
FBB = tons of preparation and tons of maintenance

If you like to get really involved with it.... FBB would be better suited for you. If you just do it for fun and want to be competitiive without keeping active everyday, FFB would suffice. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure lots of people choose FFB because they don't like the actual sport of baseball, and vice versa.

As for the Cafe's of each sport....... obviously I prefer the Baseball side, even though I started at the football side way back when. Just seems to be more recognizable faces over here, and more to talk about.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:55 pm

LBJackal wrote:Yeah I think C-M did a good job explaining it..... it's 2 different games. There is much more luck involved in FFB than in FBB though. And there are more positions in FBB which makes it better IMO... and Roto is better than H2H. It's hard to have a roto football league.

FFB = minimal preparation and minimal maintenance
FBB = tons of preparation and tons of maintenance

If you like to get really involved with it.... FBB would be better suited for you. If you just do it for fun and want to be competitiive without keeping active everyday, FFB would suffice. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure lots of people choose FFB because they don't like the actual sport of baseball, and vice versa.

As for the Cafe's of each sport....... obviously I prefer the Baseball side, even though I started at the football side way back when. Just seems to be more recognizable faces over here, and more to talk about.

Recognizable faces, that's an interesting way of putting considering almost none of us have ever met, but still everytime someone who everyone knows posts, its an automatic read.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:51 pm

nice post C-M

Couple things I'd like to tack on... as "Cooner" in both FFB and FBB forums.

First of all, a quick glance at the FFB forum doesn't do the forum justice. Quite obviously, FBB is a game that requires a much longer committment. So despite the fact that FBB is older, I would guess that FFB has more players, and more of those players are new/very amateur. Since maintaining a FFB team requires much less work, more newbs do it. So, it seems to me that the average poster's fantasy skill is higher here. That DOESN"T mean that there aren't FFB players who are just as skillful as the best FBB players. It just means that there are more whiners to listen to if you only glance at the forums. The quality, intelligent debates are there as well, they're just a bit harder to locate. On top of that, we at the FFB forum do a better job of welcoming the newbs, since we know there's no way to avoid them (hence the billion "who should i start" posts).

To the comments on preparation and maintainance- while yes, you can get away with having a FFB team with much less prep and maintainance, a skillful FFB player must put in more time than a skillful FBB player (per unit day- overall the good FBB player must put in more time) because they CAN"T rely on 162 games to average things out. A good FFB player must consider every aspect of their players' opponents, the health of their offensive line, the ability of the opposing CB to shut down a QB's favorite receiver, etc etc. A less skillful FFB player would attribute much of that to luck, but a skillful FFB player is prepared for every aspect of his team's matchups. That said, there is much more variance in FFB, and sometimes games just don't work out as planned, so there is a bit more luck. However, that luck is there for everyone, and the person who best minimizes the affect of luck on him will win almost every league (especially those leagues that award a regular season champ, not just a super bowl champ).

Some might argue that there is more pre-season/off-season preparation to FBB, since there is a much longer season to draft for, more stats and players to consider, etc etc. However, a good FFB player must consider many things that a FBB player couldn't do- things like drafting backups who have nice matchups when your star player has a bye week, or stowing Mike Pittman on your bench for the first half of the season since you know he has a lineup of easy games come playoff time. The short schedule allows for much more micromanagement that must be considered by any good FFB player.

So, although FBB requires a longer committment and more work in the long run, it seems to me that FFB requires a more intense committment for short periods of time. While FBB requires much broader preparation, FFB requires much deeper, micromanaging preparation. Like C-M said, it's like comparing apples vs. oranges, or, as I like to think of it, sprints vs marathons.[/b]
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:42 am

Being a member of both cafes, I can safely say that I like the FFC better. Why? Simply because I like fantasy football and the sport as a whole over baseball. I don't think there's much else to add as to which makes a better fantasy sport, as CBM said, it is more preference than anything else.

Now, with that said, I think the contingent of vets here at the FBC is of much higher quality. Not only is there a lot more positivie attitudes, but the general talk is much livelier despite there being much less members present. I think gses went a bit overboard in his original post, both forums have plenty of complaining. But it seems that during the season a lot of mindless posters plague the FFC and become very annoying. I'll end this post by saying that it should be an utter embarassment that the FFC is getting owned by the FBC in fantasy football. :-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers