top-5 beltran-lite's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

top-5 beltran-lite's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby grammysboy » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:25 pm

I'll side with Mookie on Willi Mo. B.J. Upton may fall into this group next season, though we really haven't seen great plate discipline from him. The word I'm hearing is they may move him to 3B next season and put Huff at 1B.

I'm not too sure DeJesus will fall into the "5-category" player next season. He made two trips to the bigs with the last season. In the second trip he played very well and got lots of attention. In the first trip up, he went 1-23 at the plate. I'm probably misjudging him, but I see a sophomore wreck waiting to happen. Can you say "Angel Berroa?"

I kind of like the mention of Aaron Boone in this thread? Three year averages of 20HR, 20SB, 81RBI & 75R are pretty good numbers. the BA of .262 is nothing to squeel about, but not bad. His problem is 3B is such a deep position it's difficult to justify using a pick on him over the other 3Bs who have more to offer in single categories. Multi-position eligibility would make him very valuable at 2B, but most leagues won't have him eligible there this year.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:37 pm

grammysboy wrote:Can you say "Angel Berroa?"

Ahhn-Hel Berr-O-Ah :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby stumpak » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:59 pm

If you are talking about 5 cat OFs who don't give you a total value as high as Beltran, there are a lot besides the ones mentioned:

Lee (barely lighter)
Abreu (also barely lighter)
Bradly
Rivera
Baldelli (hurt however)
Winn
Damon

However, Beltran is not really a 5 cat player do his crappy average, so a true Beltran light would be guys like Camerson and Wilkerson who are deficient in BA but give you contributions in the other 4 categories.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:33 pm

stumpak wrote:However, Beltran is not really a 5 cat player do his crappy average, so a true Beltran light would be guys like Camerson and Wilkerson who are deficient in BA but give you contributions in the other 4 categories.

Yes, he is. He has a .284 career batting average, which is above average for players who have fantasy impact (right?). I would say that his average rises next year to around or above that career mark, making him a true 5-cat player, and the best one in the game.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am

.284 is a typical middle of the pack team BA in a 12 team roto league--it is not "above average" then, it actually IS average.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:30 am

I have Beltran down for:

.279, 40 HR, 136 R, 117 RBI, 49 SB's.

Assuming the Yanks get him of course... if not it changes a bit. That might not be technically 5 cat but I don't think that matters. What matters is how he helps overall.... and he helps a LOT overall.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:43 am

LBJackal wrote:I have Beltran down for:

Assuming the Yanks get him of course... if not it changes a bit. That might not be technically 5 cat but I don't think that matters. What matters is how he helps overall.... and he helps a LOT overall.
8-o So you have him posting career highs in HR, R and SB in consecutive years? While also posting a new career high in RBI?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:

8-o So you have him posting career highs in HR, R and SB in consecutive years? While also posting a new career high in RBI?

Yeah, I guess so. The 40 HR might be a little steep but the rest is right where I see him performing.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:12 pm

I think those are a little ambitious, but that's just me. :-? I think he will perform about where he did this year, maybe a little better, but not new career highs pretty much across the board.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Erboes » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:24 pm

I don't know, Jackal. I still say SB's are the first to go after siging a big, fat, long contract. Even if he wanted to run, whomever signs him will want to limit it. Who's going to spend over 100 mill over 7 years to risk him getting hurt? From here on out you should be happy with 30. And I still make the claim that if he will never be a high power/high average hitter. One or the other. The optimal balance for him his around .300/30. Add to that his 30 SB's and you got one heck of a player, but nowhere the level that you have him at.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers