So why do you love fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So why do you love fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So why do you love fantasy baseball?

Postby Joe LaCock » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am

There are soooo many things:(in order)

1) The draft- my favorite day of the year- nothing is even close.

2) The everyday committment- There is nothing better than getting that first cup of coffee and jumping on the computer and checking the previous night's boxscores. I love setting lineups, researching guys, and making transactions. Even when I was in Europe on vacation, I had to go to a cafe to check my team- every day of the trip. There is nothing like picking up a Mark Buerhle from a cafe in Rome.

3) Baseball Tonight- That is must-see-TV for me. The absolute best is when I am on a fishing trip somewhere and they have cable in the cabin. Sitting there, drinking a cold one after a day on the water, and watching Baseball Tonight- oh so close to heavan!

4)Predraft rankings- When I get those first couple mags- I go nuts. They have ragged edges after their first weekend. And don't they make great crapper reading?

5) Fantastic finishes- this is the 2nd year out of 3 that I won based on late afternoon heriocs on the last day of the year. This year, Brandon Webb gave a great effort and dropped my ERA .002 which gave me a position in a ERA and thus the win. 3 years ago, Juan Pierre hit a home run to tie my opponent in HRs which gave me the title. I was drained after both days.

Other things- talking with the guys about the league; the bulletin board teasing, trade propositions, and lastly the Cafe.

So what are your reason? Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:42 am

1) The draft- my favorite day of the year- nothing is even close.

I agree I am addicted to live drafts. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby looptid » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:19 am

* Using seperate scoring categories that are not merged into generic points, which makes player evaluation and building a team a little more complicated.
* It's a marathon and not a sprint. The season is relaxed and carries with it some perspective.
* Weekly head to head roto leagues that allow line-up changes up to five minutes before any given MLB game starts--towards the end of the week teams actually set their line-ups with their opponents in mind. The same can be said towards the end of the season in a standard rotisserie league.
* Rotisserie Baseball, the first fantasy sport, was designed to incorporate categories that successfull major league teams historically preformed well in (the origin of the basic 5x5 league) giving the scoring sytem relevance--thankyou Daniel Okrent. He said if he were to do it all over again, knowing what he does now, he would have used OBP instead of AVG. Even more interesting, Okrent gave up playing the game years ago, and has lamented the number of strangers that have stopped him in airports and public restrooms who ask him his opinion on their fantasy team.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballboy » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:57 am

I love the daily action and the draft is (almost) better then sex! :-B
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:23 pm

cashing the checks :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby irishdude103 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:01 am

baseballboy wrote:I love the daily action and the draft is (almost) better then sex! :-B

i wouldn't say that but i still like Fantasy Baseball a lot
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Re: So why do you love fantasy baseball?

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:33 am

Joe LaCock wrote:3) Baseball Tonight- That is must-see-TV for me. The absolute best is when I am on a fishing trip somewhere and they have cable in the cabin. Sitting there, drinking a cold one after a day on the water, and watching Baseball Tonight- oh so close to heavan!

i was gonna ask if you were a fish, but then i read the beiginning... :-°

i like the strategy, the work (lol), it involves so many different possibilities and most of the times the guy who actually puts effort into the league ends up winning, unlike some other fantasy sport... !+)

but i think the main thing for me is that i love baseball ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby GSes » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:57 am

sometimes it feels like a job but for me its all about winning and prooving to whoever cares I AM THE BEST
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:25 am

EVERYTHING!

I miss it :~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:27 am

wrveres wrote:cashing the checks :-°

Cash is better but I agree. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers