Giants close to signing Benitez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants close to signing Benitez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:29 pm

Benitez has been one of the best closers in baseball, even before last season, for his whole career. He has such a bad stigma, but I'd be more than happy to have him if I was a Giants fan. I'd take him over 3 Vizquels. If you guys want to succeed you're gonna need a lot more than Hermanson in your bullpen. I'd be hesitant to rely on him as a setup man, let alone the closer. With his only closer experience being a good 2 months followed by falling apart when it counts and missing out on the palyoffs because of it, he isn't exactly ideal. You can make excuses that he was over-worked, but don't kid yourselves. Just because he's quirky like a lot of good closers doesn't men that'll make him good :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:29 pm

I can't remember the official source, I think I read it in USA Today's Sports Weekly. Even so, the Marlins have not pursued Benitez, so whether or not Mota is named his successor, Benitez won't be a Marlin next year.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:32 pm

Benitez is an excellent regular season option at closer. I wouldn't trust him in a big spot, though. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby stumpak » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:05 pm

If I were the Giants and had $X to spend, I could think of better ways to do it than Vizquel and Benitez.

So with Benitez, Percival, Wickham and Hermanson potentially off the board, where does that leave teams like the Braves, Cubs and Mariners? I am imagining that Rietsma, Dempster and Cruz all have to be pretty happy guys right now.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:02 pm

Dempster and Reitsma live in Canada... Gagne is a Canadian. Coincidence? I think not. Watch out for Dempster and Reitsma in 2005!

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:38 pm

LBJackal wrote:Dempster and Reitsma live in Canada... Gagne is a Canadian. Coincidence? I think not. Watch out for Dempster and Reitsma in 2005!

yea i think so :-D :-D i would bet the farm almost that dempster and reitsma do not match gagnes numbers :-D :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:54 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Dempster and Reitsma live in Canada... Gagne is a Canadian. Coincidence? I think not. Watch out for Dempster and Reitsma in 2005!

yea i think so :-D :-D i would bet the farm almost that dempster and reitsma do not match gagnes numbers :-D :-D

Awwww... I want a farm. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby waffle_prince » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:39 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there has to be a reason the Tigers went out and signed Percival. They're either really paranoid or they know something about Urbina no one else does. :-? Not just the Giants, but I here several teams being floated around looking at Urbina.

The fact that Urbina is on indefinite hiatus from pitching isn't enough of a reason?
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:42 pm

LBJackal wrote:Benitez has been one of the best closers in baseball, even before last season, for his whole career. He has such a bad stigma, but I'd be more than happy to have him if I was a Giants fan. I'd take him over 3 Vizquels. If you guys want to succeed you're gonna need a lot more than Hermanson in your bullpen. I'd be hesitant to rely on him as a setup man, let alone the closer. With his only closer experience being a good 2 months followed by falling apart when it counts and missing out on the palyoffs because of it, he isn't exactly ideal. You can make excuses that he was over-worked, but don't kid yourselves. Just because he's quirky like a lot of good closers doesn't men that'll make him good :-D

Actually, Hermanson had been a closer before the Giants moved him to that spot, hence one of the reasons why the Giants went with him.

And again, the Vizquel signing was a solid move by Sabean.

And closer isn’t the trouble spot, it’s the rest of the pen. Hermanson did a solid job in the role, before being overworked at the end. And I’m not kidding myself about that. I love how you like to comment on teams that you obviously don’t follow closely. Hermanson was brought in to back-to back-to back- to back games one week. You talk to any Giants fan, and they’ll tell you he was overworked at the end, and the reason why was because the Giants lacked any quality pen arms. That’s what they need to beef up, the middle relief and set up roles. They shouldn't be throwing Wayne Franklin out there in key situations. Depending on what Benitez would cost, I’d be more than happy to re-sign Hermanson for $2 million, and get some guys in there that can actually get Hermanson the ball.

Still nothing official yet, by the way.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:42 am

Hermanson might have been a closer in the minors.... my point is he isn't a MLB closer. There's a difference. He isn't reliable, and the only 2 games that mattered last year he blew big time. You can blame that on being overworked if you want, but he isn't a reliable MLB closer. Benitez would be a HUGE help to you guys. Hermy might be a decent setup man but relying on him for anything other than that will get you guys where you were last year. If that's what you want.... that's cool. But if I was a Giants fan I'd want a real closer and somebody to protect Barry instead of a washed up SS and a closer who has half a season of success followed up by implosion in October. But alas, I'm not a Giants fan. Thank God, the way they're handling the off-season :-°

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers