The Outflielders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Outflielders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:55 pm

It seems that Abreu is really undervalued in these rankings. I am not expecting him to repeat last year, but don't all those SBs give him a total value that exceeds a lot of the four-cat guys like Matsui and Sheffield, who people have ranked ahead of him? In a typical roto league, after all, a SB is worth about twice as much as a HR in terms of what it does for you in the standings.

I don't see how he can be less than #5 unless you are confident he will be running less with Bowa gone. Given his age and the injury risk, I would even happily take Abreu over Bonds.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:01 pm

I am wondering why people have Drew so high on their OF lists. Does 1 healthy season a stud make?? 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am wondering why people have Drew so high on their OF lists. Does 1 healthy season a stud make?? 8-o

I've got him in the mid 30's or there abouts for most of my leagues. Having a good healthy season does make me rank him a little higher, but I still wouldn't want to take the chance on him unless it's a deep league. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:32 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am wondering why people have Drew so high on their OF lists. Does 1 healthy season a stud make?? 8-o

He's always had the talent and I don't think it is that much of a stretch for him to repeat last year's numbers.
Runs-118
HR-31
RBI-93
SB-12
BA-305

He seemed happier in Atlanta last year and more willing to play through some bumps and bruises. If he stays with the Braves I don't see why he can't repeat.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:He's always had the talent and I don't think it is that much of a stretch for him to repeat last year's numbers.
Runs-118
HR-31
RBI-93
SB-12
BA-305

He seemed happier in Atlanta last year and more willing to play through some bumps and bruises. If he stays with the Braves I don't see why he can't repeat.

While I'm not going to predict numbers like that (or even really close to it probably) he does seem to play better in Atlanta. I'm thinking something along the lines of 94/26/87/.290 if he's healthy again. Not bad, and he has all the talent to duplicate '04, but remember that it was a contract year. ;-) Maybe a change of scenery is what he needed. Too bad he couldn't have done something like that with STL. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby dleoboyd » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:02 pm

stumpak wrote:It seems that Abreu is really undervalued in these rankings. I am not expecting him to repeat last year, but don't all those SBs give him a total value that exceeds a lot of the four-cat guys like Matsui and Sheffield, who people have ranked ahead of him? In a typical roto league, after all, a SB is worth about twice as much as a HR in terms of what it does for you in the standings.

I don't see how he can be less than #5 unless you are confident he will be running less with Bowa gone. Given his age and the injury risk, I would even happily take Abreu over Bonds.

He is ranked top 5 on two of the lists and he is #7 on the third list.......Where do you have him ranked?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers