Fantasy Sports' popularity - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Sports' popularity

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:53 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I started in 87, Mac's rookie year. Was just catching on at that time. Info was hard to come by. In 1990, ESPN launched BB Tonight, a show geared for the fantasy crowd. A few years later BB Weekly, now (Sport Weekly) was born. USA Today geared their boxscores and bb section, to the fantasy crowd. What is that saying, You've come a long way baby? It's much tougher to win now, because the averge player is privy to so much info.

I know what ya mean Hootie!! I started playing back in 89/90 or so
with a contest sponsored by my local paper where you had to call in
to a special number to set up your team by using numbers listed to the player you wanted and I can remember grabbing copies of "The National " a great sports paper !!! to get better updates on all the teams!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants8307 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:20 pm

Subversive wrote:I'm sure most of you know this already, but Roto is shortened from the original fantasy baseball league the "Rotisserie League", which was so named because of the restaurant where the original members of the league met. I actually remember buying the "Rotisserie League Baseball Book" a couple times in high school. It had player valuations, stories about how the league formed, and standings, etc. I could never get any of my high school buddies to play with me, though, too much work they said. Hockey pools were much more popular. :) Maybe had something to do with the fact that I lived in the far north of Alberta, where hockey is life.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd actually always wondered where that term came from.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:21 pm

wrveres wrote:
FoxSports.com wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level

Hey, 8-o

Wonder if they knew the Jackal too? ;-)

Yeah I've only been kickin ass in FBB for about 5 years.... when I started all the sites were free, and I played Sandbox first before discovering Yahoo via a friend at school who invited me to his Yahoo fantasy basketball league.

And like Mook..... I've been doing hockey playoff pools for a while since my gym teacher got our class in on one. I've always done them with my friends too. I think my best friends older brother still owes me $5 from 1995 or whenever it was that the Devils won the cup :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:46 pm

i started playing FB in 99 on yahoo, which i think i found by accident. well, i had an yahoo e-mail account which was unusual cuz most people had hotmail or something else. the first couple of years i only played roto leagues, i don't even know if there was HTH leagues at the time at yahoo...prolly...but i think what got me excited about it was that i actually won my league that year. fernando tatis had a game with 2 grand slams in 99, what a player :-b

FF is definetely more popular though, for various reasons already mentioned. :-P
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 213)

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:44 pm

I refuse to play Fantasy Football mainly because I hate the sport itself and insist it is far inferior, but that's just my opinion...

I've only been doing fantasy baseball for two years, but I've been obsessed from the very beginning. I get on, check, and move around my players on a daily basis. But the problem is, it's hard to find people that are as dedicated as I. I like doing leagues with my friends so I can talk with them about in person. But I only have a handful of friends that know enough to run a dedicated league. Often times, the league I do with my friends (I use Yahoo) has some people that get only frequently, some people that do it a few times a week or less, and there's always 1 or 2 people that get on once in May. Because of my dedication, I've won both of the years in which I've participated.

(I'd like to use this oppurtunity to thank Bobby Abreu for hoisting my team to the top in both of my years... :-) )
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hartbc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:22 am

I started playing in 1992. thanks to an ad in some baseball magazine (Athlon? Sporting News?) for Bill James Fantasy Baseball. Ah, the good old days of $1 player transactions.
hartbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:39 pm

wrveres wrote:but FBB has actually been around longer ... ;-D

Fox wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level.

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to say it ain't so ... technically, fantasy football came first by quite a bit. (Except at the Cafe, of course. ;-) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

Arlo wrote:

Fox wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level.

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to say it ain't so ... technically, fantasy football came first by quite a bit. (Except at the Cafe, of course. ;-) )

That's interesting. I haven't heard that before. When and how did fantasy football start then?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:37 am

Arlo wrote:

so are you just going to leave us Hanging or what?

When did FFB start ... ?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:05 am

Would I really leave you hanging? (Hang on - don't answer that... ;-) )

Anyway, fantasy football began (to the best of my knowledge, at any rate) all the way back in 1962, with the credit going to Bill Winkenbach (who was a partner of some sort in the Oakland Raiders franchise) and two Oakland sportswriters whose names escape me.

Actually, come to think of it, I believe Winkenbach had also previously created games involving both golf and baseball (at least), so baseball might have been before football after all...

Ok, I guess I'm leaving you hanging after all. Consider my contribution to this discussion to be that contrary to popular belief, fantasy sports have been around a lot longer than roto games, and I'll be quiet now. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers