Fantasy Sports' popularity - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Sports' popularity

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:At least with FB it's mostly hard core baseball fans. FB is a lot of work (labor of love) so I think it weeds out a lot of the boobs who play FF. It kills me when I go into work and some broad who can barely get her makeup straight is talking about how her FF team lost because Peyton lit up up the scoreboard again. :*)

lol

Agreed ..

16 vs. 162 .. :-°

Most of my friends refuse to play fantasy baseball, or maybe they refuse to play me, I forget. Anyways, Fantasy Football is mindless, which leads to alot of its popularity. Kind of like the College Tournament "Brackets", those are becoming extremly popular because it requires very little effort, like football. They can just set their lineup on Sunday morning when most people are off anyways. Fantasy Baseball is 6-7 months long at a minimum and contests take place everyday. Alot of people don't really have time for that. So I guess it can't be said enough, Fantasy Football is a mindless game.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:36 pm

I started fantasy hockey about a century ago playing playoff pools - straight points out of the newspaper. It was a lot harder to play FB. The internet made it a lot easier and I really started getting into FB and FF about 5 years ago. I think that I've outgrown FF...mostly. The cafe has actually gotten me talking about it more and playing less :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby JTWood » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:47 pm

FoxSports.com wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level.

Fantasy football has become the most popular of all fantasy sports in recent years in large part because of the simple fact that it's a very easy game to play.

Someone should post this over on the Dark Side so that they know their place in the scheme of life.

:-D

Link
Last edited by JTWood on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:48 pm

JTWood wrote:
FoxSports.com wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level.

Fantasy football has become the most popular of all fantasy sports in recent years in large part because of the simple fact that it's a very easy game to play.

Someone should post this over on the Dark Side so that they know their place in the scheme of life.

:-D

You'd have an easier time trying to explain physics to a Kindergarten class. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Subversive » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:36 am

I'm sure most of you know this already, but Roto is shortened from the original fantasy baseball league the "Rotisserie League", which was so named because of the restaurant where the original members of the league met. I actually remember buying the "Rotisserie League Baseball Book" a couple times in high school. It had player valuations, stories about how the league formed, and standings, etc. I could never get any of my high school buddies to play with me, though, too much work they said. Hockey pools were much more popular. :) Maybe had something to do with the fact that I lived in the far north of Alberta, where hockey is life.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:40 am

The boom in all fantasy sports pretty much followed the advent of online leagues like Yahoo, CBS, etc didn't it. I couldn't imagine trying to run a league "by hand". 8-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:50 am

FoxSports.com wrote:Fantasy sports was born a little over 20 years ago when a group of baseball fans took the age-old argument — "I know more about the game than you do" — to a higher level

Hey, 8-o

Wonder if they knew the Jackal too? ;-)
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:30 am

Subversive wrote:I'm sure most of you know this already, but Roto is shortened from the original fantasy baseball league the "Rotisserie League", which was so named because of the restaurant where the original members of the league met. I actually remember buying the "Rotisserie League Baseball Book" a couple times in high school. It had player valuations, stories about how the league formed, and standings, etc. I could never get any of my high school buddies to play with me, though, too much work they said. Hockey pools were much more popular. :) Maybe had something to do with the fact that I lived in the far north of Alberta, where hockey is life.

I remember that ...

Not hockey, (do they still play that sport? Certainly not in Canada anyways :-° )but the league book. I guess I was lucky in a sick sort of way, because I had a slightly older uncle who was a baseball nut. Him and his friends played every year out of the newspaper boxscores. They actually still have their league together, and they took it to the net like 10 years ago. Actually my Uncle was such a nut, you know those little plastic helmets you get the soft serve ice cream in at the ballpark? Well he had "all" the teams and they were lined up on top of his dresser, and he would put them in order according to their current standings ... DAILY!!! 8-o .. anyways, he is the sicko responsible for me bieng addicted to this lame numbers game. Alas, he currently isn't to happy with me 'cus I took him and his old high school buddies for a lot of change over the last two seasons. .. know what I mean ? .. .. Thanks Cafe. :-°

Anybody remember the board game with the dice APBA I think it was? Last I checked they are still around too ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:51 am

I started in 87, Mac's rookie year. Was just catching on at that time. Info was hard to come by. In 1990, ESPN launched BB Tonight, a show geared for the fantasy crowd. A few years later BB Weekly, now (Sport Weekly) was born. USA Today geared their boxscores and bb section, to the fantasy crowd. What is that saying, You've come a long way baby? It's much tougher to win now, because the averge player is privy to so much info.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:42 am

wrveres wrote:Anybody remember the board game with the dice APBA I think it was? Last I checked they are still around too ;-D

I didn't play APBA, but played their chief competition, Strat-O-Matic or SOM. Wasted lots of time playing my brothers and by myself as a kid. When one of my SOM guys would make a key play (walk-off homer, K with the bases loaded), my brother would try to grab him and bite him! I still have a few cards with his dental impressions.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers