Where do you rank... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where do you rank...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dleoboyd » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:50 pm

I'm really not trying to offend anyone here.....I'm glad that you guys have enough baseball smarts to put up a legit argument. We all have our own opinions, I'm glad to listen to yours and I hope that your methods continue to work for you.

I have my own methods that I use, that have consistently worked for me. It seems like many of you guys are of the same opinions and points of view (probably, at least in part, from your discussions on this board) so mine will probably differ from yours fairly frequently. I don't think that means that you're wrong or I'm wrong, we just have different opinions and I'm fine with that. I've enjoyed discussing these things with you guys in a mature manner, most of the forums I've come across eventually turn to name-calling and personal attacks. I'm glad that this forum is not like that.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshheines » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:53 pm

I'm not sure who, but someone said don't too much stock into Crawford's SB. Excuse me for asking, but what??? Crawford dominatest the SV category and prevents you from scrounging for middling talent trying to make up for the SB later in the game. Based on statistics, Crawford was the 7th most valuable OF last year (behind Vlad, Beltran, Abreu, Bonds, Ramirez, and Ichiro). Even based on your modest projection of improvement from 104/11/55/59/.2955 to 105/15/60/60/.300 would have vaulted him ahead of Manny Ramirez, based on last seasons stats. I think it's safe to assume that Ichiro will not hit .375ish again, and that would drop his value dramatically (even if he hit .330). Therefore, based on modest projections, I'd rank Crawford ahead of Manny Ramirez. And you know what, I'll laugh the whole way to the bank. Especially when you factor in that Ramirez always has the injury factor looming overhead.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:08 pm

dleoboyd, like you and most of the Cafe members, I believe that the sabremetric stats are the best measurement of a player's performance. They are also a good tool for projecting 5x5 rankings in that the player's performance is not skewed by outside variables such as with your example of Don Mattingly. But fantasy is all about knowing the game of baseball and using that knowledge to put together a team of players who will post the greatest stats. Not only should you know who the best players are, but you should be able to predict (to a certain extent) how the players will do that year, even in terms of non-sabermetric stats. A knowledgeable fan and fantasy owner will know that a hitter will have better 5x5 stats if they bat in a better lineup, and will know the lineups of most teams. This knowledge will allow them to predict not only the sabermetric stats but also a few of the old-school stats like RBI and R. Knowing a player's situation is key to fantasy.
For the reasons described above, projections and rankings can and should be made using all scoring stats for the league they are for, plus the sabremetric stats. Runs and RBI should not be left out of the process completely.

As for the Cabrera question, I dont have OF rankings yet, but I believe that he could be a first round pick next year. I guess that tells you what I think of him.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dleoboyd » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:31 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:dleoboyd, like you and most of the Cafe members, I believe that the sabremetric stats are the best measurement of a player's performance. They are also a good tool for projecting 5x5 rankings in that the player's performance is not skewed by outside variables such as with your example of Don Mattingly. But fantasy is all about knowing the game of baseball and using that knowledge to put together a team of players who will post the greatest stats. Not only should you know who the best players are, but you should be able to predict (to a certain extent) how the players will do that year, even in terms of non-sabermetric stats. A knowledgeable fan and fantasy owner will know that a hitter will have better 5x5 stats if they bat in a better lineup, and will know the lineups of most teams. This knowledge will allow them to predict not only the sabermetric stats but also a few of the old-school stats like RBI and R. Knowing a player's situation is key to fantasy.For the reasons described above, projections and rankings can and should be made using all scoring stats for the league they are for, plus the sabremetric stats. Runs and RBI should not be left out of the process completely.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, at this point in the season, all of the variables you mentioned that could affect a player's value (Bolded Information) are not finalized. Many of the top players don't even know where they are going to be playing yet.....My point is that trying to make a projection for how many RBIs Adrian Beltre will have next season is futile, at this point in time. As such, I have ignored these factors in my rankings. Even a guy that is situated on his team, like Derek Jeter, could have a completely different situation if Carlos Beltran ends up signing with the Yankees. I would think that all knowledgeable fans and fantasy owners would have thought of that...... :-)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:44 pm

Good point about rosters not being set at all for the coming year. But that gets into why we even rank and project players this early in the year. Our time would be much better spent doing the same thing a little later, when we know where more players will be playing. We can, however, satisfy our fantasy-hungry minds by ranking and projecting based on sabremetrics (as you do, dleoboyd) or by making rough estimates at this early hour. These preliminary rankings can serve as a basis for later lists. When we know where players have signed, and what each player's situation is, we can compare this year's situation to last year's and the year before to see if their RBI/R production will be more or less than those years.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers