Smoltz a SP, Who's Atl's Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz a SP, Who's Atl's Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:35 pm

Has anyone heard news about the Braves chasing a closer, whether free agent (I'm thinking Benitez) or via trade (Urbina). I haven't, but I know my sources aren't the best.

Any Braves upper management in here? ;-)
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:44 am

If I was Atlanta, I would keep him in the pen. It has worked great and he has had arm problems. He is too old to be moving back at this point, IMHO. Can he handle the extra workload??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby reiser » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:04 am

Reitsma, Cruz....I'd say Alfonseca is the real wild card here. he pitched as well as either of those guys, and could be due for a Benitez like resurgence.

i don't expect Capellan to go to the bullpen, he had too good a year in the minors-though whether he starts in AAA or Atlanta is anyone's guess.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:10 pm

Well the difference between Alfonseca and Benitez is Benitez has been one of the best closers over the past decade while Alfonseca has been pretty bad over the past decade. I think last year was his resurgence (it was his best season ever) and I would definately expect worse next year. But with Reitsma and Cruz as seemingly the only other options... who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rlee » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:29 am

LB Jackal said:
"Most latin fireballers (I'm not being racist am I) have great K ability but don't make it as closers because they don't have control."

What about Rivera? Benitez? Urbina? Dotel? Guardado? Mesa (this really defeats my point :-) )? Francisco Cordero?

Getting back to the thread, I'm not sure which way the Braves will go with Smoltz, but you sure have to trust the track record of Cox, Mazzone, Shuerholz.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:47 pm

So, does Cruz become keepable in a keeper league where I can only hold 13?
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:49 pm

Walden warriors wrote:So, does Cruz become keepable in a keeper league where I can only hold 13?

Too early to know what will happen for sure but using the logic that 13 keepers = first 13 rounds of the draft, I would definitely say no.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:35 pm

rlee wrote:LB Jackal said:
"Most latin fireballers (I'm not being racist am I) have great K ability but don't make it as closers because they don't have control."

What about Rivera? Benitez? Urbina? Dotel? Guardado? Mesa (this really defeats my point :-) )? Francisco Cordero?

Getting back to the thread, I'm not sure which way the Braves will go with Smoltz, but you sure have to trust the track record of Cox, Mazzone, Shuerholz.

i wouldn't consider all thsoe guys fireballers..... and I meant the pure speed guys. There are exceptions but a lot of them throw hard without control. Cruz is one of thsoe guys... and I don't know what's gonna happen in Atlanta but whatever they do, it'll probably work.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GSes » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:26 pm

According to Smoltz..........he says that moving into the rotation would be BETTER for his arm, because he wouldnt be pitching multiple days in a row, he would only be pitching every 5 days.

He is very very adamant that it would be better for his health to move back into the rotation.

righttttttttttttttttt?

with that being said, I don't think its a good idea either and I think atlanta would be smart to leave smoltz in the pen as well.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:31 pm

GSes wrote:According to Smoltz..........he says that moving into the rotation would be BETTER for his arm, because he wouldnt be pitching multiple days in a row, he would only be pitching every 5 days.

He is very very adamant that it would be better for his health to move back into the rotation.

righttttttttttttttttt?

with that being said, I don't think its a good idea either and I think atlanta would be smart to leave smoltz in the pen as well.

It would be better for the health of his wallet. ;-)
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers