Smoltz a SP, Who's Atl's Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz a SP, Who's Atl's Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DominicanLou » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:39 pm

What about Capellan? Is there any chance he might close for them next year?

I know he is young, but I have heard he throws hard enough to take the role.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:00 pm

Capellan sounds like a good option to me, though I would rather see him starting and Smoltz closing. Why couldn't Cruz or Reitsma (who the Braves are high on, after all they kept him in the set-up role all of last year while Cruz had better numbers in mostly junk innings) start, and Smoltz keep closing? He has proven to be great at it... I too doubt that the Braves will get a FA closer... when was the last time they did? I think they will either stick with Smoltz or use an internal option at closer.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dannahann » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:58 pm

The other question that begs asking, where does this put Smoltz amongst starting pitchers next season? Somewhere in the top 20 to 25 rank? Better than that?!? :-o
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Pedantic » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:23 pm

He's had 200 or more SO's in four seasons. I think top twenty would be a pretty safe assumption. :-° Of course, I'm not banking on anything until I hear from Cox's mouth that he's starting.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Subversive » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:39 am

Damnit, I don't need any more closers! Someone get on the phone and tell Bobby to put Cruz in the rotation! Grrr....
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:44 am

I don't really know where I'd rank him as a starter. He's probably still top 30 I would think :-? My question is how his arm will react going from the rotation to the pen back to the rotation. Am I just trying to come up with reasons this is a bad idea? :-/ I know the Braves are strapped for starters probably with Ortiz and Wright gone, but why take arguably the best closer in your league and put him back in the rotation. You don't know how he will perform, therefore making the rotation and the back of the bullpen major questions IMO. But then again I didn't think they'd win the division....again. :-° :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:08 am

dannahann wrote:The other question that begs asking, where does this put Smoltz amongst starting pitchers next season? Somewhere in the top 20 to 25 rank? Better than that?!? :-o

I'm not so hot on Smoltz as a starter. He's gonna throw at least double the innings he has since he took over as a closer . (2001?) I've owned him the last 2 years and both of those years he let me down by breaking down towards the end of the season. (He cost me this year's playoff game) I say he can't handle the season as a starter. I think he'll miss a chunk of time because of it. Yeah he'll be a good source of Ks when he's active, but I just don't see him making it through the season. 8-o
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:23 am

DominicanLou wrote:What about Capellan? Is there any chance he might close for them next year?

I know he is young, but I have heard he throws hard enough to take the role.

They won't use "flamethrower" Capellan as a closer. They had the option to put him in the pen last year, but they wan't him to improve his skills in the minors and soon become the staffs ace.

Rumors say the Braves are gonna try and sign Benitez if Smoltz returns to the rotation......
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:49 pm

I have seen some of Smoltz's late season breakdowns and I am one of those that remembers why the Braves made him the closer. They did it to conserve him so he could pitch more years! I say he makes it about to the All-Star break before he goes back to the 'pen. Reitsma will probably fill in, although I disagree. The Braves really don't have any good reliever to close. (I honestly don't think Cruz has the experience or mentality, although Reitsma is not much better).
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:45 pm

I agree with Tony Clark... Cruz doesn't have closer mentality. Most latin fireballers (I'm not being racist am I) have great K ability but don't make it as closers because they don't have control. There are of course exceptions, but for the most part they just walk too many people. Reitsma has been pretty bad but he has control, and like somebody said - Leo Mazzone. Also, I'm not sure of his BIPA (I'm on a school computer - don't have my handy excel files available) but judging by his .283 OppBA over the past 2 seasons, it seems to be higher than it should be which could be a sign that his ERA is inflated. Regardless though... this is the Braves and they really should have a proven closer. Urbina or Benitez would seem ideal. Initially I thought Smoltz was being sincere when he said being a SP would put less stress on hs elbow since it's only once every 5 days, but after seeing the $3M+ he'd get if they switched him into the rotation, I believe he had ulterior motives for those comments.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers