Two Tigers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Two Tigers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Two Tigers

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 pm

I would like some help on what you guys think about Carlos Pena and Craig Monroe of the Tigers. They were both getting hot towards the end of the season do any of you guys think htey can keep that up?
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:58 pm

In a 12 or less team mixed league I wouldnt want to touch either of them.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:11 pm

no, they cannot :-t

pena was hot in the beggining of the seaon, but didn't do much until the last month. his avg drives me crazy, so i wouldn't want him on my team, unless it's a very deep league. same for monroe, he did manage to hit for a much better avg this season and caught on fire the last two months of the seaon, but i think his far from being a good option to a fantasy OF.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:45 pm

I avoid Craig Monroe because... well... there are better options. If you can stand the ridiculous low average and OBP with Pena, his other stats are tolerable.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby paulpett » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Pena - I honestly believe he will surprise some people next year. He really turned things around in the last couple of months of the season.

With that being said, he is a sleeper pick as a 2nd 1B in deep leagues. The Tigers are comfortable enough with him that they have no plans to upgrade at 1B. They could have looked at moving Eric Munson (will hit 35 HR's) to 1B but have chose to let him go.

Monroe - he has little business being on your fantasy roster. He will be a 4th - 5th OF at best for the 2005 Tigers.
paulpett
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:58 pm

paulpett wrote:Pena - I honestly believe he will surprise some people next year. He really turned things around in the last couple of months of the season.

With that being said, he is a sleeper pick as a 2nd 1B in deep leagues. The Tigers are comfortable enough with him that they have no plans to upgrade at 1B. They could have looked at moving Eric Munson (will hit 35 HR's) to 1B but have chose to let him go.

Monroe - he has little business being on your fantasy roster. He will be a 4th - 5th OF at best for the 2005 Tigers.

I find your comments interesting. Please clarify a few for me, so that your meaning can be certain.....Are you saying that Eric Munson is going to hit 35 HRs in 2005? With the impressive 2nd half Monroe had (.321/.369/.638, 15 HR, 40 RBI) I expected him to be starting at one of the corner OF spots next year, what do you project their lineup will look like in 05 (assuming they don't sign any FA)? Thanks. :-)

BTW, I agree with you on Pena....I've always thought he was a talented guy......I'm not sure if he will ever hit for great average, but if he can pull it up to around .265 and fulfill his power potential (30+ HRs) he will be a valuable ML player and a valuable fantasy player.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby GameOn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:13 pm

I doubt Munson will hit 35 HRs, but I could see him hitting 30 or so with like a 210 BA if he gets regular playing time. I would steer clear of him just because his average is so low, but in a deep league he might be worth a shot.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:28 pm

GameOn wrote:I doubt Munson will hit 35 HRs, but I could see him hitting 30 or so with like a 210 BA if he gets regular playing time. I would steer clear of him just because his average is so low, but in a deep league he might be worth a shot.
I agree. I would be surprised to see Munson hit 35 HR. I would also be surprised if he hit over .250. He has power but the BA is a killer.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby ntrdame316 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:44 pm

I doubt Munson will hit 35 homeruns the rest of his career. He cant man third, and he has nowhere else to go on this team, hes mostly gone. Pena will stay at first for now. As for Monroe, he should start in right over Higginson and Thames. With either Sanchez, Logan, or a free agent in Center, and Rondell White or Thames in LF. Theres no reason Monroe shouldnt be a starter on this team, or at least in a 3 man rotation with Thames and White, playing at least 5 games a week.
ntrdame316
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:45 pm

I don't think Monroe will start over Higginson or Rondell White. For starters, those 2 are making $15M combined in 05, so they won't be on the bench (although look at what they did with Easley, so ya never know) but more importantly Higginson and White are both better and more reliable than Monroe. Maybe he should start in CF over Sanchez, but I just don't see that happening.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers