Brandon Lyon, BoSox closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Lyon, BoSox closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Lyon, BoSox closer?

Postby blanker » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:20 pm

In Peter Gammon's diamond notes this week, he states that Grady Little has decided that Brandon Lyon will be the closer. I haven't been able to find any info on this anywhere else. Does anyone know anything?
blanker

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:35 pm

He is the closer for now but nothing is official so that's why you haven't read it. Calling him the closer would denounce upper office credibility in wanting to go with a committee. They might be grooming Robert Person for the job but for now Lyon should get the opps.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:08 pm

Well now I'm not so sure since they left Fox in to get his second save. They had Lyon warming up in case trouble was brewing. I was pretty sure lyon was the man but that's what you get when it isn't official.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jnr98 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:07 pm

It seems like Boston's closer is the one who got the last save. It's like trying to nail jello to the wall. Just can't do it.
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:50 pm

I've got Robert Person on my DL and Chad Fox on my bench. Do I have a good shot at endingup with Boston's closer? Will Boston go with a closer?

Any BoSox insiders got the latest info?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

BoSox

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:35 am

In the Boston Globe, Grady said he was going to Fox and Lyon in the ninth
Gods do not answer letters.
Dave
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:21 am

When the Sox decided to go with a closer by committee it wasn't because of some ideology cooked up by Epstein. They merely saw the closer by committee approach as a pay to save money. So if a closer does emerge from the pack they will most likely go with that person. So far Lyon has been the name being thrown around along with Person when he gets back. However I think that the distinct possability exists that Person could get into the rotation and Burkett could get delegated to long relief, as he has been sucking lately.

Postby mlb yoda » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:22 pm

Today he pitched one scoreless inning in a non-save situation.(blow out)
mlb yoda

Postby HYLRedSox » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:51 pm

The official (whatever that means :-) ) word is that the "closers" are going to be Lyon and Fox. Most of the saves should be between the two of them, at least for now. So if either of them are available in your league and you need cheap saves, I would say it is a safe bet to get one of them, as long as you don't go out of your way. A Lyon and a Fox, interesting.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dzcondor » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:23 am

Lyon has the potential to be this year's Gagne if given the chance. He does have pretty nast stuff. The problem is...he probably will not get a chance as the sole closer. As it is, he is splitting time w/Fox. Plus, Person is almost ready and the rumor is that he will get a shot as well. :-t
dzcondor
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers