The Secondbasemen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Secondbasemen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:59 pm

stumpak wrote:A couple of things:
--Soriano is still the best 2B, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Well:
Jeff Kent:
.289 27 HR 107 RBI 96 R 7 SBs in 540 AB (.880 OPS)

Soriano:
.280 28 HR 91 RBI 77 R 18 SB in 608 AB (.807 OPS)

I will take Jeff Kent any day.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dleoboyd » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:16 pm

stumpak wrote:A couple of things:

--It amazes me how people continue to overrate Castillo. What is to like about this guy? His SB capability is long gone, all he brings to the table are some Rs, a .300 Avg and 15-20 SBs. Why not wait get a guy like Polanco for a lot less. He is also a lock for .300, should get you 10-15 SBs and o h by the way should provide double digit HR's as well. In fact, I don't see why he isn't rated higher--yes his stats will have a very modest fall off leaving Philly, but he is one of the most consitent hitters in terms of BA and brings soem HRs and SBs that will help you out. Once you are out of the top 5, he is as good as anyone, expect he has no name recognition and you can get him in the low rounds or for far less $$$$.

--Soriano is still the best 2B, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

--As for Uribe, I just don't have confidence in that guy. Even if the power stays (and last year seems to be a bit of an aberration) he still rarely walks and Ks a lot. He never hit for average even in the minors. I think the best case scenario with him over the long-term is .260 20HRs, but it could be a lot worse.

I agree with you in that Castillo is a bit overrated....however, he is a good pure hitter. He always hits for average and knows how to get on base.

As for Uribe, I think you're underrating him quite a bit.....hell, Barry Bonds never hit for average in the minors either. :-b
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:26 pm

"I will take Jeff Kent any day."

Then in my view you'd be making a mistake. First off, even in 2004 (which was a horrible year for Soriano) his overall numbers were not far behind Kent's. So I'm not sure why you think -- even based on 2004 alone -- that Kent is so superior. Plus, Soriano is much younger and has shown the ability to put up incredible numbers. He was nearly a 40-40 hitter in 2002 and 2003!

Did Soriano have a bad year in 2004? Of course. But it was his first year on a new team in a new park. With the sort of numbers he put up in 2002 and 2003, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'll bet that 90 percent of fantasy players will as well.

To me, Soriano over Kent is a no-brainer. If nothing else, Soriano would be worth much more in a trade.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:31 pm

As for Uribe, I think you're underrating him quite a bit.....hell, Barry Bonds never hit for average in the minors either.

Bonds hit .306 in the minors. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:41 pm

And no one ever saw such little potential in Bonds that they thre up there hands and basically gave him away for nothing, as the Rockies did Uribe. I am not saying he is going to suck, it is just that down seems far more likely than up.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dleoboyd » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:52 pm

Tavish wrote:
As for Uribe, I think you're underrating him quite a bit.....hell, Barry Bonds never hit for average in the minors either.

Yeah except you left out the silly face after I said that......
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:09 pm

dleoboyd wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Yeah except you left out the silly face after I said that......

Uribe is a tremendous player and will most likely be the #1 SS at the end of the season. :-b

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby mikegp » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:48 pm

I know most people don't agree with me, but I'm really high on Kaz Matsui for 2nd base next year. As far as I have heard he's pretty much a lock to play 2nd base for the mets next year and I really believe that he can be a solid contributor to a team with homeruns, avg, and steals.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:01 pm

top 3 right now are

Soriano
Kent
Lorretta

I'll see if I can find my top 25 list... :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:24 pm

top 17 or 18...

Soriano
Kent
Loretta
Young
Giles
Boone
Vidro
Reyes
Durham
Figgons
polanco
Roberts
Belliard
Womack
Castillo
Bellhorn
Spivey
Infante
Ginter
Freel
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers