Prospects:
Linden
Sleeth
Valdez
Arnold
Navarro
Bautista
Ellison

That team cost about $260, leaving $40 left to pursue other player or to sit on.

What do you think so far? Any areas I should look to improve? I think it's a pretty strong team myself ;-)

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby elstingaree » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:09 pm

awesome starting pitching, pretty dam weak offense and your bully just aint going to get it done man

In a 6x6 you will pitch well but pretty inconsistent on offense. I would look to someone real strong on offense and move some of your starting pitchers

"adioooooooooooooos"
elstingaree
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:31 pm

agreed, espicially on the bullpen
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby TownDrunk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:38 pm

Are you guys sure about the bullpen?

I have two quality closers. Torres had 36 holds last season, Walker had 18. Torres had a sub 2.56 ERA, Walker had a decent 3.18.

The other three are just gambles, I agree. But they came cheap and I thought it would be worth it to roll the dice.

I could possibly land Rivera, but he's expensive at $22.

As for the offense, where should I look to upgrade? I have three big bats in Tejada, Vlad, and Konerko.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby elstingaree » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:09 pm

Other than Vlad every single guy on your offense has zero upside, they will do no better than last year and most likely worse.

Baez and Looper are ok but really just one year ago were dumped by their respective teams, this isn't a very good trend

Torres was playing for a contract and got one, just a couple of years ago he was hoping to make a team out of spring training....I wouldn't count on a repeat

If you look at the teams in your league how do they compare, I have a hard time believing this is the best offens, just trying to be objective and help you out though
"adioooooooooooooos"
elstingaree
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:02 pm

elstingaree wrote:Other than Vlad every single guy on your offense has zero upside, they will do no better than last year and most likely worse.

Baez and Looper are ok but really just one year ago were dumped by their respective teams, this isn't a very good trend

Torres was playing for a contract and got one, just a couple of years ago he was hoping to make a team out of spring training....I wouldn't count on a repeat

If you look at the teams in your league how do they compare, I have a hard time believing this is the best offens, just trying to be objective and help you out though

I agree. Baez and Looper are no sure things when it comes to closers. I haven't played in leagues with holds, so I'll trust that your MR are solid.

As for offense, without knowing the number of teams in your league, this may end up being a stupid statement - but 3 big guns and a bunch of players with limited upside doesn't seem like a good offense to me. I've been in 12 team NL or AL only salary leagues and almost always ended up with at least two guns, and usually three. So in a ML universe, and only three seems weak. It's not a bad offense, especially when compared to your starting pitchers (which is where I'd guess a lot of your salary went), but I agree that I'd look to trade some of that depth for a little more hitting.

As for where to upgrade, maybe at U or one of your older guys (Kent, Finley) who likely won't be better, and a slide (due to age) wouldn't be surprising. You also have very little speed unless Gathright gets a full-time job.

Again, not being critical as you have great SP. I would just try and even it out a little.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:05 pm

Your RP could use some help but I would probably stick with what you have there and use the extra money on a couple of big bats.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:39 pm

Thanks for the input. This is a 14 team league, by the way.

I'm actually not concerned too much about the offense as I thought I would be. The only areas in which I could see myself making an improvement would be LF, CF, and my UTL spots.

I can probably address my UTL spots through free agency, so that won't be a problem.

However, CF is. There really aren't a lot of quality guys out there, and the same goes for LF. The Bonds and Dunn types are off limits, so I may have to scrape by there.

However, CF I could seek an upgrade. Does anyone have any information on Alex Sanchez? Is he healthy? Will he be back in Detroit? He could be the solution to my CF and SB problem and I may be able to get him for Russ Ortiz.

As for my closers, Baez went 30 out of 33 in save Opps last season, so I'm not worried with him. And Looper put up good ratios. The top end closers are very highly priced, and I feel I can put my money elsewhere.

That said, what do you all think of Alex Sanchez?

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:27 pm

I know what you're saying about Baez and Looper - but for the same reasons I have Mesa lower on my list, I'm just a little afraid that last year was more of a mirage. But Looper did have good ratios, and 30-33 is pretty good. Just be ready and see if you can get a FA who comes from nowhere to get a job (e.g. Worrell in 2003).

As for Sanchez, I don't like him personally, but I was burned before. Supposedly, he was a cancer in Milwaukee, and that's why they traded him. I know that doesn't affect his fantasy value if he plays, but if true and he burns bridges in Detroit, I fear the same thing will occur there - he'll lose his job. He's not great defensively - which matters in that ballpark; doesn't draw walks - which affects his real baseball value as a leadoff hitter; and has no power. And with Nook Logan, they have a cheaper, younger alternative.

So I think any trade for Sanchez is risky. Now I'm not Ortiz' biggest fan, and while I think it would be a good idea to trade him, I think you can do better than Sanchez.

And what qualifies someone as a CF? I ask because, while I'm shocked I'll throw these names out there, what about Tike Redman? I'm thinking of players who I think you might get for Ortiz - not great CF. But he's a starter, no real competition for his job and has a little speed. I'm pretty sure David DeJesus has the job in KC, as with Grady Sizemore in Cle, though he's a rookie (though highly ranked). Jeremy Reed is probably too highly touted and Endy Chavez likely won't keep his job. No opinion on Terrero and while I like M. Byrd to rebound, I'm not sure he'll get the chance.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Need Hitting

Postby kcbrett5 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:02 am

Konerko is one of the better 1b, Mora had a good year. Tejada is the best SS. Vlad is the second best OF (Beltran). Other then that i don't see much. Your pitching is very good, but i'd have to agree with other with that bullpen. No closers. You need to trade one of those pitchers for a closer. I'd try to trade Pavano. I think he'll go to the AL, where he will not put up the #s he did in Fla.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team