From 1B to DH - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

From 1B to DH

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

From 1B to DH

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:24 pm

A number of players who qualified at 1B last year will only qualify at DH this coming year. The ones I know of are Ortiz and Hafner (are there more?). My question is how does this change their value? Now that they are only Util players, how much does their value drop? Or, more to the point, how much does their percieved value drop? It would be nice to get that kind of production cheaply because nobody has them on their position lists. Or does the lack of flexibility they bring to a fantasy team really reduce their value?
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby grammysboy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:30 pm

After Edgar's poor start last season, the owner who had kept him dropped him and I used my waiver wire spot to pick him up, thinking: "Hey, its Edgar Martinez, he has to come around." He never did and I was hadcuffed for several weeks with no where to put players and no flexibility. I might grab Ortiz in the draft, but with no position eligibility, his value will drop significantly in our league
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Flexibility is overrated IMO. Extra eligibility is convenient at times but it's never enough of a factor for me to factor it into draft values.

Players like Ortiz who lose 1B-eligibility this year definitely lose value. I'm not sure about their perceived value and probably wont know until people start mocking. Instead of just being compared to a pool of first basemen now you have to compare them against every draft-worthy hitter.

My guess right now is that someone like Ortiz will be drafted too high for my taste but I haven't gotten far enough in my rankings to know where I'd be comfortable taking him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flbtank » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:34 pm

According to Yahoo Ortiz played 34 games at 1b so he "should" still qualify. Hafner on the other hand played only 11...he's strictly DH.
flbtank
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:36 pm

flbtank wrote:According to Yahoo Ortiz played 34 games at 1b so he "should" still qualify. Hafner on the other hand played only 11...he's strictly DH.

You're right. I just assume that he had less than 15 because of this post but he does still have 1B-eligibility so it's a moot point. :-]
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm

flbtank wrote:According to Yahoo Ortiz played 34 games at 1b so he "should" still qualify. Hafner on the other hand played only 11...he's strictly DH.

According to ESPN Ortiz played 36 games at 1B.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:09 pm

Durazo and Thomas will only be DH eligible
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:17 pm

Durazo, Hafner, Fullmer, Thomas, Salmon, Offerman, and Segui, appear to be the only ones in this situation if I'm reading the stats at ESPN.com correctly. Needless to say most won't be a real impact player fantasy wise next season except for Hafner, Durazo, and maybeThomas.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:19 pm

Hafner played 11 games at first so he should qualify there in a lot of leagues.

It would suck having to use up a UT spot for him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm

LCBOY wrote:

According to ESPN Ortiz played 36 games at 1B.

Not to split hairs because it really doesn't matter but 34 is the correct total not 36. :-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers